edpm liner fail

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello, I know the 45ml edpm liner is told to last for 25 yrs, but.... Was wondering if anyone has seen a fail in a crease or fold that is weighted down with heavy boulders? Will this stuff really go 20-25 years before cracking etc?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When most are putting heavy rocks down they put an extra piece of liner under the rock as it saves wear and tear on the liner itself and protects it .Even if you put a dock in you put liner under the 4x4 and then wrap the 4x4 with a piece of liner and staple it to the 4x4 above the water line .

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello yes I doubled and trippled the liner under heavy rocks. I'm more worried about the folds and creases splitting or cracking under heavy weight. Any reports of this?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not that I know of and most liners can take the abuse .My first liner that a neighbors dog destroyed, when I took it out after 6 years all the folds were fine and used the pieces of liner for my water fall and under my filter and they just unfolded them selves after a few minutes laying in the hot sun .After that i cut the non ripped areas for my waterfall

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Rocks weight, over time, will eventually create a water tight rip in the liner. Often times, these rips only turn into leaks after the rocks are removed or moved. Something to think about when working around them. I am in the process of how to mortar around my rocks to help prevent this and so muck does not get trapped in the crevices at the bottom.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pretty much every failure I have had to deal with on any liner has been found more near the surface where the liner is exposed to direct sunlight. I've seen an occasional tear slowly advance and go down in the pond. never have I found one near a rock or fold but i would think the extra load would be more concern than the folds. I usually put carpet or double layers of liner down under the liner to be used for extra protection.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I enlarged my 13-year old pond this spring by removing most of the shelves around the edges, and re-laying the same liner. The EPDM had no cracks or wear spots anywhere, in or out of the water, and the new folds were as pliable as the first time the liner was laid.
John

Reaction score
Our first liner was a free-be... after being in someone else's yard for about 10 years, decided they didnt want it anymore... sat folded up in my garage for a few years (all kind of things piled on/around it)... pulled it out, left it laying in the side yard for awhile (several weeks) waiting to clean it... finally got around to using it, and it was fine, no leaks etc... only reason we removed it, we wanted bigger LOL. NOW it is in a friends yard, and no leaks yet:)

Ask a Question