Eeek! It's an Imp!

Reaction score
Wildy Waving! Waving Madly!

Howdy Ya'll. I'm Dianne aka the Garden G'Imp. I've been on enforced activity hiatus for the past few weeks and stumbled across this forum following Pecan and some others over on GW. I am very happy to report an A++ for reading enjoyment, entertainment, and education even whiltst under the influence of the ER and inpatient doldrums. Huzzah!

The whole emergency part of the ER has put a huge damper on my current ponding activies, so I'm reading about ponding instead of doing. Actually, this has turned out to be a good thing since I'm going to tweak my bog plans a bit thanks to information I've gained here.

But I digress ... I suppose you want to know something about me and my pond? Well, in pond years, I'm just a toddler. After years of wanting, I finally got my first garden pond going in Spring 2011. If you happen to be hanging around someplace with WiFi and really bored, you can read all about the history of my little pond here. This current (third) iteration of the pond is somewhere between 500 - 700 gallons. It is an EPDM liner pond. We are sitting on an ancient sea sand dune in Central Florida (think sand) so the digging part should have been easy. We had to have an ancient Black Cherry stump removed and then formed the pond layout around the existing living oak trees and roots and the sewer drain.

Below is our little pond. In addition to plants, we have 4 goldfish, 4 rosy red minnows, 1 betta and 2 cory's. And a boat load of baby frogs, toad, dragonflies and snails. And a resident Southern Leopard Frog.

IMG_2599.JPG

The third iteration was the charm, right? Actually, it is quite fun and I enjoy tweaking the plants and the rocks. Rocks are a very precious thing here in the middle of the land of all sand. I have a little bitty bog along the right side of the pond. I have been getting some of my starts going in the bog and it is great fun. Hubs keeps asking when it will be DONE. I tell him, gardens are a living breathing and growing organism - they are never DONE.

We have a 4" sch. 80 PVC pipe under the sidewalk. It is pipe booted into the pond, and the fish actually go inside the pipe at times. We are planning to expand the pond over the opposite side of the sidewalk. Kind of like so.

expansion%2520plan.jpg

Hubby wants a water wall, so the plan is to have a bog on the left side (from the porch) that flows over a dry stack wall into the pond proper. The pond proper is the blue lines. And yes, that is our front porch. My favorite outdoor hanging out spot! Hubby is charged with transplanting the grass. You can see how well he is doing on his part of the project. I hope to do a bunch of moving of sand this winter. Time will tell. Maybe Pecan aka the energizer bunny wants to make a trip to Florida this winter - mwahahaha. In other words, I'm kinda slow - but I get there eventually.

My current pond project is my pond-away-from-pond. It is a 300 gallon (or so) preform in sad state of neglect at our county extension office. I'm a newly minted Master Gardener and I volunteered to do a makeover of the pond to fulfill my inservice portion of the MG requirements. The pond is in the Butterfly/Pollinator Teaching Garden. I have had lots of fun times researching pond/bog plants for pollinator gardens. This is what the pond look like in the beginning:
IMG_2441.JPG

My project proposal is to add a bog around three sides of the pond and to move the submerged pump to a more easily accessed location. Here is a concept drawing.

pondconcept.jpg

I have the frame of the pond in position, and most of the bog plants are growing out in my dogs wading pool in the back of my veggie garden. I am hoping to get Dr. release this week to resume normal activies. There is work to be done!

So .... me? I'm Dianne. Married to the worlds.most.wonderful.guy.ever. Two wonderful Belgian Tervuren. Getting on in years now, but there is a puppy in our future ... so we hope. I've been gardening for ever it seems, and had a lot of indoor aquariams when I was younger. Discus in my twenties, Live rock in my thirties, now I'm in my early 50's and finally got smart and have a garden pond! Lol. And I'm an Imp. And even a gimp. But I get around. Love my gardens. Keeps me moving. Better than the gym or PT!

Nice to meet all of ya'll,

~dianne

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard Dianne, very pretty little ponds. That Taro with the red stems is really interesting. Do you know what kind it is? that looks like something i would like to add to my collection.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I like Nancyana, Hilo Beauty, & Lauterbachiana as well. May just place a small order from them and give them a try. I have two types of Mojito, Micky Mouse, black beauty, Black magic, and a few others I still don't know the names of.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
animated-welcome-jumping-kid-2.gif
to our group!

Like all your neat ideas, you will have fun creating them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums! :wave: I just had a read of your blog, I love the floating islands!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome a guess the drugs and boredum lead you here and great to meet you and your pond and since you are expanding you future set up too .Hope you post some good pics and LOL DID NOT KNOW 50 IS OLD GEEZE Don't tell me I 'm half dead already . :razz: :goodnight:also have you tried florida hill nursery. com .Great plants

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forums, Dianne!
And Sissy; Here, have some wine! :wave:
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh geeze :wave: thanks Haro back at you haro as I heard men have the same problem :nananananana:

Reaction score
Somebody brought wine? Me too please!

Sissy, who said I'm old? Heck, still a kid.

Hmm, maybe confusing me and the dogs? They are getting on, not young enough for dog sports anymore. They are herding dogs. Active, herd anything. It is a hoot to watch a pair of them herd goldfish. Pointy ears and fuzzy tails sticking up from the water.

Oh, and why can't I get my avatar to show up? It is a terv puppy.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
:( old puppies... My fiance just made an appointment to put one of ours down today, she's got until august 31st to be showered with love and attention.

I love your pond though, and the plans for expansion look great.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sometimes takes awhile for pic to show up and then pop it is there .Sorry to hear that 99 I know i have been there and it so heart breaking and miss them dearly and I never forget them they were my children too ,they give 100% love .

Ask a Question