Effective Fry Holding Tank

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hi,

So I haven't had a spawn in 3 or so yrs and was thinking of maybe trying to protect and keep the fry for rehoming. I have some in a plant ring, but this has not worked in the past as snakes would always get them as they grow. I researched online-however only found a large cage. Does anyone have a suggestion or know of a place to grab a smaller version?

Thank You

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
More information. What does a "large cage" look like, and its dimensions? Do you have a picture? And how much room do you have to work with?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
More information. What does a "large cage" look like, and its dimensions? Do you have a picture? And how much room do you have to work with?
Hi, thank you for getting back to me. I have only seen 1 fry left in the ring I put the eggs in. I got some fry food and thought that would bring out some more, but no. I would like to save that 1, but not sure how. This is a cage I saw online- but it's in the UK. I could try and make it, but I don't have a sawing machine and would probably leave holes for something to eat them up. The one I was looking at before from the US was square, 2x3 and a bit to big for my area.

Attachments

• C1634.jpg
    C1634.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You could build a box from pvc pipe and cover it with window screen material on 5 sides and small mesh netting on top and let it float in your pond.
Thank you. If I don't have a sawing machine to make the pipe openings, do you know the easiest way to make it secure?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Maybe you could sew it by hand with some fishing line?
I do have fishing line that I was going to use for a predator deterrent. Didn't realize that was an option. How dumb do I feel? Pretty dumb! Guess I will go needle hunting, see what I need for material and if I can make it work before my only fry gets fried. Thanks so much

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hope you'll find a way to save that one (all if there are more)
Good luck! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I saw 5 or 6 the other day, quite small. Several of them were quite pretty. I usually end up lowering the pond water, to catch them at the end of summer...might try a minnow trap this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I never got more than a few babies, per year, and even though the water is usually clear, I don't realize I have babies until the following year during Spring clean up

As cool as it is to see a baby born in my pond, I consider myself lucky to not have to constantly re-home fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I never got more than a few babies, per year, and even though the water is usually clear, I don't realize I have babies until the following year during Spring clean up

As cool as it is to see a baby born in my pond, I consider myself lucky to not have to constantly re-home fish.
Yes I know. It is very sad for me knowing someone is going to have to go. I have not seen any fry for 2 days now. But I know that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Do you know anyone who has a pond, or do you have a neighborhood message board? Around here, we use Next Door and our development also has a Face Book group. It's nice because the people are in proximity to you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Do you know anyone who has a pond, or do you have a neighborhood message board? Around here, we use Next Door and our development also has a Face Book group. It's nice because the people are in proximity to you.
I work with the woman who was going to take 2 and she knows the other man. There are not many ponds that I know of around here. I have searched on FB for locals, I could post again on that page. Thanks

Ask a Question