Effective method to kill wild elephant ears and trumpet vine

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Across many areas of the country, especially in the South, a wild, invasive version of elephant ears grow in ditches, lowlands and pretty much anywhere there is water nearbye. These terrors grow by runners. To make a long story short, the answer is Roundup Ready-To-Use Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer in the Pump 'N Go Sprayer. Carefully spray the poison on top of each plants leaves. If the plants are cut down spray the exposed growth. Within days these wild elephant ears wilt and die.
You have won the battle but not the war. Saddly, more of these invaders will pop up here and there. Stay strong and confident. Over time you will eliminate all wild elephant ears by repeating the above instructions.

In addition to killing wild elephant ears Roundup Ready-To-Use Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer in the Pump 'N Go Sprayer also kills invasive trumpet vine. Those plagued with this lovely flowering demon already know it spreads everywhere. As with the wild elephant ears stay strong and confident. After the initial kill be on the lookout for new growth. Just keep on spraying and with time, no more trumpet vine.

As with all poisons, carefully read and follow all manufacturers instructions. Note: Roundup Ready-To-Use Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer in the Pump 'N Go Sprayer wii damage and or kill grass and ortemental garden plants. Use with caution.

I started using Roundup Ready-To-Use Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer in the Pump 'N Go Sprayer late last summer. I'm still battling sporadic wild elephant ears and trumpet vines yet the end of the war is near. Just in cause you are wondering I do not work for Roundup or any such company. I'm a simple long suffering home owner. Good luck!

Product link: http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod102700 04

Reaction score
Dont take this the wrong way but when I read the title of the topic I thought it was going to be some home brew method. Roundup will kill just about anything

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I too, have a battle with invasive plant, but not elephant ear... Mine is bamboo. Neighbor have a bamboo forest and the runner runs through everything and come to my yard. When we bought the house, there are so many bamboos clumps in my yard and cutting it to the ground won't do anything.

The only thing that works is dig up the entire roots system and the runners. Back breaking job since the roots system are very strong but the old way to guarantee it'll never come back (unless new runner comes from the neighbor forest).

After that I use this method to plant I need to get rid off, without having to use chemical. I had to do it once and now 99% of my yard is bamboo free except around the fence where new runners from the neighbor bamboo forest try to get in.

i had to dig up Black eyed Susan as it took over my garden and killed my other flowers, and I had to get all the runners out too.

And thanks for the info about elephant ear and trumpet vine can be invasive. If I get them I will keep them in the pot only :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nepen,
I grow bamboo and have done a ton of research about it. My running bamboo is surrounded by a bamboo barrier sunk 40" into the ground so it cannot escape and even then I dig up the rhizomes that have grown within a foot of the barrier each fall.

A couple tips on the bamboo. The canes grow between April-June generally while the rhizomes grow in the Sept-Nov.

Cutting the rhizome from the parent plant and continually cutting any canes down as soon at they emerge will kill the root system eventually.

I suggest digging a ditch maybe 2' deep between your neighbors bamboo and your yard, fill it with sand. In the fall take a spade shovel and sink it into the sand cutting any rhizomes trying to invade your yard. Then as soon as shoots emerge knock them down. Eventually (1-2 years) the shoots will stop growing as you have killed the root system. Without growth above ground there is no nutrients for the roots to survive.

From there on out it is just a matter of cutting any rhizomes that try to cross your sand ditch.

Many people who grow bamboo (unfortunately not your neighbor) use the sand ditch method to keep the bamboo where they want it. They surround the bamboo patch with a sand ditch, cutting the rhizomes each fall in the ditch and mowing down any escapees just outside the ditch. works well.

As far as elephant ears go, we don't have that problem here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks pecan. We did put the barrier but the bamboos are very persistent and came through it. I have them growing up in thailand, surrounded by concrete wall but they went through that too. I'm now cutting the cane as soon as it comes up but there are many of them and they grow very fast!! For a few days it can grow to several feet! I think I'm winning though, the middle of my yard no longer have stray bamboo, just the edge of the yard.

Thanks for the tip for their grow time. I feel like they have at least 3 growth time though since in the spring I took some new shoots down, then in early summer I saw some more, then just a few weeks ago I cut down some new shoots. The house next door is a rental, so yea, they didn't care very much.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nepen said:
Thanks pecan. We did put the barrier but the bamboos are very persistent and came through it. I have them growing up in thailand, surrounded by concrete wall but they went through that too. I'm now cutting the cane as soon as it comes up but there are many of them and they grow very fast!! For a few days it can grow to several feet! I think I'm winning though, the middle of my yard no longer have stray bamboo, just the edge of the yard.

Thanks for the tip for their grow time. I feel like they have at least 3 growth time though since in the spring I took some new shoots down, then in early summer I saw some more, then just a few weeks ago I cut down some new shoots. The house next door is a rental, so yea, they didn't care very much.
I have noticed while the majority of shoots do grow in April-June there are a few here and there in the summer time. And yes they can grow fast! It is said that during that April-June growing time they can grow 1 foot in height a day!

Now if anyone can tell me how to kill Virginia Creeper I would be forever in your debt!!! :banghead3:

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Pecan, I failed to mention that even though the article calls for Roundup there are very effective vine root killers (comes in a small bottle with a dropper) through hardware stores such as Ace Hardware. Drill a hole in the primary root vine then following the products instructions place the precribed (or more for good measure) poison directly into the root. This should kill the mother root. Repeat as necessary. BTW, Bayer is an excellent alternative to Scott's brand products.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
In a related vein, can anyone tell me if Cygon 2E is still available anywhere in the US? Near the border would be nice!
John

Ask a Question