Egg Bound Red Comet

Reaction score
I have an approxiamately 5 year old Comet that appears to be extremely egg bound (she's huge !!).
She seems to be OK for now but I have lost one other Comet which exhibited similar bloating.

Does anyone out there have any ideas what can be done ?

Reaction score
Are you sure she is egg bound ( I've never heard of this in fish, but I know it happens in chickens) There are several diseases that cause fish to look bloated, could this be a possibility? Also, if I'm not mistaken, this is not the normal time of year for spawning... Good luck, hope she survives.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If this is in a pond and the water temperature is in the 50's or lower, I agree with cashb, this may be something else. You might Google "diseases" "bloating" "Red Comet" and anything else that will help narrow it down.

You might also take some close up photos if you can so others can see the condition.

Our local feed and grain store sells pennecillin for fish I actually used it on one of my cats who had a hole in her side that I think a coyote did to her. She is fine now and you can't even see where the wound was.

Good Luck

Reaction score
Thanks guys
Will do a search and see what comes of it.

Water temp in the pond isn't an issue as it's sitting at around 20 degrees C (approx 75F).
I'm in Australia so it's summer over here at the moment.

If something crops up I'll post the solution.
Thanks again and regards

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Well now that we know which hemisphere you are in, you are probably right about the eggs. I imagine most of us figured your pond was too cold to be anything but a disease.

If it's possible, remove anything that might be stressing her. If you have a bully fish in there quarantine one or the other.

Good luck,

Reaction score
It appears that the Comet may have a parasite.
I've learned that there is a fluke that can cause bloating.

Have been advised to try using a medication called Octozin.
I'll be treating the whole pond as there are 15 Comets and 8 Koi.

Have never had any problem with Koi bloating though, only the Comets.
Won't know if it will work though for 3 to 7 days, as that's how long the treatment is meant to last.

Will post news down the track.
Thanks again for the input.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
OCTOZIN is a treatment for internal parasites such as those which cause Sleeping Sickness, Hole - In - The - Head, Seawater Angelfish and Clownfish Disease, Malawi Bloat Disease and also early stages of Dropsy. OCTOZIN may also be used to treat Whitespot in seawater aquaria where CUPRAZIN cannot be used. OCTOZIN is harmless to invertebrates and algae when used as directed. You will require three separate days of treatment to complete the course.

OCTOZIN is active for up to 3 days after the last day of use. Although internal parasites are destroyed instantly, external signs of improvement to the fish may take up to 7 days.

Taken from a web site I googled.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Please do, we are all interested and are hoping this will work. What better Christmas Present than a healthy pet.

Ask a Question