Egg Sacs on Basil after rain????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's been raining all day and I went out to get basil. Found clear egg sacs all over my basil and rosemary. Does anyone know what these are. They look like frog eggs to me but it makes no sense that they were laid so far away from water. Hopefully someone can help identify these guys. There are well over 500 of these things. FYI
20180704_151724.jpg
20180704_151742.jpg
20180704_151902.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is odd! They do look like some type of egg, but frog/toad eggs are usually stuck together in either a mass or strings, and those all look like singles. Maybe it was one of those atmospheric anomalies where they were pulled from somewhere else, and literally rained on your property. You’re in Houston. How close are you to the gulf?

@JBtheExplorer Do you have any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
That is fascinating! I can't wait to find out what they are!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That is odd! They do look like some type of egg, but frog/toad eggs are usually stuck together in either a mass or strings, and those all look like singles. Maybe it was one of those atmospheric anomalies where they were pulled from somewhere else, and literally rained on your property. You’re in Houston. How close are you to the gulf?

@JBtheExplorer Do you have any ideas?
I was not able to find these anywhere else on the property. They are consolidated in this single area. And this is about 30 or 40 feet away from my pond on the other side of the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a-5b
Country
Canada
Wow to see this, I have growing basil for many years as well and have never seen anything like it. We had rain all day yesterday thank goodness, will be inspecting my basil this morning.

Ask a Question