Eggs In Pond, what to do???

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 500 gallon pond with 4 koi and Thursday of last week my fish laid a bunch of eggs in the pond. The eggs were all over the place, on the plants, on the side of walls. Not really knowing what to do we sectioned off some of the pond with a net, figuring we would give some eggs a chance not to be eaten. It turns out the section we netted off, most of the eggs are still white and the eggs where the Koi are turned out cleared and look to have little eyes, so the fish are not eating them. But yesterday (Monday 6/6/11) I did see some fry in the section I netted off. I'm not sure if I should take the net down in fear that the big fish will start eating the fry, plus it gives them a place to hide, but that section isn't staying as clean as the other section.

Also, what should I feed them?

What to do????

Attachments

• DSC_0305.jpg
    DSC_0305.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC_0229.jpg
    DSC_0229.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 352
Reaction score
If the net is not in the way it could give the fry a little extra protection from the bigger fish. As long as they are in the pond the fry will feed themselves. I don't do any special for the fry in my pond and I have several koi fry, some look like the yellow dad and a couple others look just like the moms. :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The best way to raise the fry, get the adults out and into a bigger pond, They need it and deserve it now anyway and if your going to have much success in raising a bunch of fry they really need a pond of there own. Feel lucky, There are experienced breeders that sometimes don't get as lucky as you at this point.
Here is a good link to read, not to complex and covers most of the basics. I've used it and it's pretty informative.
http://www.pondkoi.com/koi_reproduction.htm

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I do not have the means to put the adults into another pond. I would love to, but I just can't. Just have this one pond and have to make the best of it. Love our fish and want to keep them healthy...

Thanks for welcoming me…

Ask a Question