Eggs?

Reaction score
Hi,
I have two Koi's in my pond and two ghost carps
Yesterday night I decided to clear out the blanket weed off of the oxygenator plants because the fish started to get stuck in it (bear in mind the smallest Koi is about 5cm and the biggest 7cm) and a few days before the smallest Koi, Lilly, spent alot of time in the plant pots and darting around the weeds and then the bigger koi replaced her and started to dart around, and then started to chase her. I havent noticed Lilly being fat, shes stayed the same as usual, but I looked today and it seems riverdance is definatly fatter (riverdance was the one that was chasing) and when I cleared it out yesterday I came across tiny orange spots tucked under and around the tiny leaves on the plants, and they were in a tiny 'jelly bubble' I thought nothing of it untill I saw some forming into 'hook' shapes so I got a large pot filled it with pond water and put some in the pot, I didnt get many because I wasent sure what they were, but I went to look today and there are hardly any left and the Kois seem to be eating them now :yikesu:
Are they eggs? We thought our fish were too young to breed we got them a year ago
We weren't planning on being fish breeders, so if they are eggs, what requirments do they need? eg, water temp, does the water need to be changed?

We are real novices about this :L

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Koi eggs hatch 3-5 days after the spawn. I immediatley remove them and place them into a tank with methylene blue 1/2 the normal dose. This reduces the losses. Whatever they are attached to, take it with them. In my pond it is usually string algae that time of the year.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Remember if you do get babies, unless given away, your pond might become overcrowded.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true and giving them away can become a problem too as friends who have ponds start hiding from you:lol::lol:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
craigslist.........you can get rid of hundreds in a day!! ive filled a baby pool (more than once) with them every year and list them on craigslist. after a while i have to limit the number they take so everybody can get some ....thats the goldies...the koi i sell, but real cheap! i give away both by the bag full when theyre under 1/2".

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
:lol:I tried that but the local lists and only 2 people called and only took 3 gave up on that then went to the local piedmont shopper here in the south and still only got rid of a few .I think the size of my Agie scared them to death .All they kept saying is they get that big in 6 years .The look on there faces said everything .Run Run fast:lol::lol::fish:

Reaction score
I do hope they are Koi's, will have some interesting looking ones :lol:
'Lilly' which now turns out to be a male is metallic yellow/cream in colour and Riverdance is pure white with a perfect red dot in the middle of her forehead :lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was told you can tell male from female by there body shape long and skinny to tail male fat in the middle female

Reaction score
Oh no :[ Turns out they are newt eggs :[ Saw two newts laying them on the plants (we have 9 newts in our pond)

Jut checked and Lilly is a boy, he deserves a new name now :lol: He is skinny and has pointy fins and Riverdance is bigger, plumper and has rounded fins
What age do Koi's start to spawn?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
SianxKoisxCarp said:
I do hope they are Koi's, will have some interesting looking ones :lol:
'Lilly' which now turns out to be a male is metallic yellow/cream in colour and Riverdance is pure white with a perfect red dot in the middle of her forehead :lol:

any photos we love to see everyone's fish :lol:

Reaction score
*From top to bottom*
'Copper' The ghost Carp Orange metallic colour
'Riverdance/river' white with perfect red dot on forhead Koi Carp (you cant see the red dot here, it was cloudy this morning)
'Lilly' renamed 'Lucky' Creamy yellow metallic in colour (cant see that well)

SAM_0709.jpg

Top to bottom
River dance
Copper
Lucky

SAM_0708.jpg

I can never get one of midnight because well. hes black with red lines on his forhead :lol:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its my understanding,12"-15" is a general rule for koi.but i had a female who spawned at 8" goldies will spawn at 1 year old

Reaction score
I have had Koi spawn as early as around 7-10". I had one little female last year that was as big around as she was long. Strange to see a 7" koi that fat. I have some interesting babies from her.

Ask a Question