Either the Easter Bunny stopped by or I have ducks that lack parenting skills living in my pond

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by pecan, Mar 28, 2012.

1. pecan

pecan

A couple mallard ducks have been frequenting my pond over the last week. I named them Northrop and Stratojet. The female is Stratojet. Well today I was outside making the rounds and saw this.

Now either the Easter Bunny came early or Northrop and Stratojet need to be turned in for child neglect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pecan, Mar 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. pecan

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

..so they left the kid at your house,& couldnt make it to the doorstep...you gonna be a foster parent? or adopt?

koiguy1969, Mar 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. pecan

pecan

LOL

pecan, Mar 28, 2012
  4. pecan

j.w I Love my Goldies

Wonder why they left it like that? Poor little un-baby duck!

j.w, Mar 28, 2012
  5. pecan

sissy sissy

Poor guy if mum and dad don't come back get a heat lamp and you will be a new parent .

sissy, Mar 28, 2012
  6. pecan

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

apparently the kids suffer in a duck divorce as well!

koiguy1969, Mar 28, 2012
    pondlover likes this.
  7. pecan

blessedfamily

That is a weird spot to lay it....keep an eye out for more as mine laid one a day last year and then something ate them all :(

blessedfamily, Mar 28, 2012
  8. pecan

pecan

It is strange. I am torn between a few things at this moment...

So we build these beautiful nature reserves in our yards that attract nature, but then don't wont certain types of nature around? Like raccoons, herons, a lot of ducks that muck up the pond. Also, when I think of the little egg I think maybe it is best to let nature run it's course??? If momma doesn't come back it wasn't meant to be, if an aniaml eats it then an animal got a good meal. I guess what I am getting at is I am torn between letting nature run it's course in all aspect of the pond and being a interventionist. I naturally garvitate to the nature running it's course side I guess.

But don't let that make you think if little "Eggbert" (that's what I named the egg) doesn't make it my heart wont hurt any less.

pecan, Mar 28, 2012
  9. pecan

Shdwdrgn

I intervene every time a hawk decides to land near my pond. Then again, koi aren't exactly a native species in my area, so just the fact that they are here makes my pond an unnatural habitat. On the other hand, I grow plants along the edge that provide good cover for baby fish, but I do not make any effort to collect the eggs before the other fish eat them. The point is, every little thing you do around your pond is an intervention in the natural course of things. What it really comes down to is you... are you interested in putting in the time to try and hatch the egg, then caring for the baby until it can fend for itself? How would you feel if that little duck started eating your fish? (I don't know that it would, I'm just putting out the hypothetical.)

Shdwdrgn, Mar 28, 2012
  10. pecan

j.w I Love my Goldies

I think nature letting it take it's course regarding the duck egg is a good choice and the parents might be back to lay more but if they don't................. you could have it for breakfast...............I mean we eat chicken eggs don't we? Actually I don't really think I could eat it.............don't know why, I just envision a cute little quacker in there but then baby chicks are cute too and I don't envision them inside every chicken egg I eat....................geez I prolly will now tho!

j.w, Mar 28, 2012
  11. pecan

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

addy1, Mar 28, 2012
  12. pecan

j.w I Love my Goldies

Good info addy. I did not know they laid an egg and then left it and keep returning till they are done. Guess we will all be watching for more now!

j.w, Mar 28, 2012
  13. pecan

pecan

Very interesting. While it seems like a wierd spot out in the open it is laying on my woolly thyme which is one of the softest plants ever, it feels just like a pillow. If she build a nest a round it, it will be quite the nice little spot.

We are supposed to get down to freezing on Monday which is the first time in the last 30 days. That has me a little concerned but I am sure they will manage. I may have a little family homesteading in my yard!!!

pecan, Mar 28, 2012
    j.w likes this.
  14. pecan

pondlover Bogs are good for more than just your pond!

Pecan I think that is pretty exciting. Keep us posted.

pondlover, Mar 28, 2012
  15. pecan

HARO Pondcrastinator

Pecan; it may very well be against the law to interfere with little Eggbert, Many if not most states (and provinces) have laws restricting what you can do with any wildlife, even if it IS in your own back yard. We'd hate to lose your input here for 2 to 4 years!!!
    John

HARO, Mar 29, 2012
  16. pecan

pecan

I am letting nature take it's course whatever nature chooses. I wont be going away for 2-4 yrs! I wouldn't do well at all in jail!!!

So far Momma Stratojet and Poppa Northrop have not returned to little Eggbert. I sure hope they come back and take on the responsibility of being good parents.

pecan, Mar 29, 2012
  17. pecan

HARO Pondcrastinator

If they do, you may wish thry hadn't!
    John

HARO, Mar 29, 2012
  18. pecan

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I had mallards lay in my back yard in arizona, 17 chicks, they only did it the one year. They must have found better pastures.

addy1, Mar 29, 2012
  19. pecan

lindsayanng Umm yea... confused

I am not sure if you guys are aware, but female ducks drop eggs whether they are fertile or not. You can check to see if it's fertile by holding it up to a bright light and looking for a dark spot inside the yolk area.

When I was a kid we raised ducks from eggs and it was an AMAZING experience. There's nothing better than being imprinted as momma by a duckling, but this may not even have a duck.

How long was it left alone and how warm is it where you are?

lindsayanng, Mar 30, 2012
  20. pecan

pecan

The ducks have been back but have not showed any interested in the egg. Then last night two pairs showed up at the same time and there was an all out duck fight in the pond. I am not sure which couple the egg belongs to but one couple chased the other away. The egg whether fertile or not I am afraid is a lost cause at this point. No attention and little friend eggs for a week.

Lindsay, we have been cold and hot here. It was 80 on Saturday and got down to 30 and snowed on Sunday. Now it is about 70 for the next week.

pecan, Apr 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question