Either the Easter Bunny stopped by or I have ducks that lack parenting skills living in my pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A couple mallard ducks have been frequenting my pond over the last week. I named them Northrop and Stratojet. The female is Stratojet. Well today I was outside making the rounds and saw this.

Now either the Easter Bunny came early or Northrop and Stratojet need to be turned in for child neglect.

DSCN1792.jpg

DSCN1791.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Poor guy if mum and dad don't come back get a heat lamp and you will be a new parent .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is strange. I am torn between a few things at this moment...

So we build these beautiful nature reserves in our yards that attract nature, but then don't wont certain types of nature around? Like raccoons, herons, a lot of ducks that muck up the pond. Also, when I think of the little egg I think maybe it is best to let nature run it's course??? If momma doesn't come back it wasn't meant to be, if an aniaml eats it then an animal got a good meal. I guess what I am getting at is I am torn between letting nature run it's course in all aspect of the pond and being a interventionist. I naturally garvitate to the nature running it's course side I guess.

But don't let that make you think if little "Eggbert" (that's what I named the egg) doesn't make it my heart wont hurt any less.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I intervene every time a hawk decides to land near my pond. Then again, koi aren't exactly a native species in my area, so just the fact that they are here makes my pond an unnatural habitat. On the other hand, I grow plants along the edge that provide good cover for baby fish, but I do not make any effort to collect the eggs before the other fish eat them. The point is, every little thing you do around your pond is an intervention in the natural course of things. What it really comes down to is you... are you interested in putting in the time to try and hatch the egg, then caring for the baby until it can fend for itself? How would you feel if that little duck started eating your fish? (I don't know that it would, I'm just putting out the hypothetical.)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think nature letting it take it's course regarding the duck egg is a good choice and the parents might be back to lay more but if they don't................. you could have it for breakfast...............I mean we eat chicken eggs don't we? Actually I don't really think I could eat it.............don't know why, I just envision a cute little quacker in there but then baby chicks are cute too and I don't envision them inside every chicken egg I eat....................geez I prolly will now tho!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good info addy. I did not know they laid an egg and then left it and keep returning till they are done. Guess we will all be watching for more now!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very interesting. While it seems like a wierd spot out in the open it is laying on my woolly thyme which is one of the softest plants ever, it feels just like a pillow. If she build a nest a round it, it will be quite the nice little spot.

We are supposed to get down to freezing on Monday which is the first time in the last 30 days. That has me a little concerned but I am sure they will manage. I may have a little family homesteading in my yard!!!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Pecan; it may very well be against the law to interfere with little Eggbert, Many if not most states (and provinces) have laws restricting what you can do with any wildlife, even if it IS in your own back yard. We'd hate to lose your input here for 2 to 4 years!!!
John

Ask a Question