Electric cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm refurbishing an inherited pond, relining and updating the electrics. Currently the power to the switch box comes from a junction box which is on the main cable from the house to the greenhouse. The cable to the switch box needs replacing as the insulation is splitting and it's very short.

Does anyone have any recommendation for the grade of cable I should use to connect the switch box to the power cable junction box?

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Per my hubby says figure out what amperage you need, see the breaker size, put the right size wire for those two things. It sounds like there is more amperage than the wire can handle therefore the insulation has started splitting ie maybe over heating. Or it is just toooo old.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like it's too old. I'm happy working out the load rating for the cable, I'm just not sure about the type of insulating sheath. Is there a particular type of rubber etc?

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is hard to know what you have there to buy. But I am sure you can find the right rating in cables.

Ad

Advertisements

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1623686036396.gif
@Gordon LB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, your task is made easier by my inherited pond having a leak. That's being resolved shortly.

combatwombat

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have no idea what electric code is like in the UK, but we have a number of choices in the US for outdoor projects. First is to decide what size load you need to plan for.

If you are tapping into an existing circuit, you must use the same size wire (or bigger gauge) as is existing. If you're not sure what exists, go look at the breaker box and see what size the breaker for that circuit is. In US, 15 or 20 amp is common and 15 amp = 14 gauge wire and 20 amp = 12 gauge wire. This can change (wire size gets bigger) if you're going a long distance.

As for the actual cable to use, we have what is called UF cable (direct bury). The depth required to bury depends on amperage of the circuit. This usually requires the deepest trench. You can also do THWN cables in pvc conduit can be at a shallower depth. Or THWN in rigid metal conduit can be buried very shallow—6".

Anything you do here about 36" or greater depth, you would meet burial requirements for any cabling/conduit choice you make.

This is all code in the US. Believe it is often more stringent in Europe/UK. Also, all 240v, right?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, but I'm only running a cable from a junction box to a switch box, about 2 or 3 feet tops.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question