electrical code for submergible pumps

Reaction score
Hello forum members,

I am working out a DIY design for a natural swimming pool (NSP) which is basically a large pond with a deep swimming area separated from a shallow regeneration area with plants that will look after cleaning the water. The pond is about 30000 gal, with 516 sq ft of swimming area and 676 sq ft of regeneration area. A pump circulates the water through the plant bed. The pump that I have selected is the Laguna Max Flo 4300 (4000gph) submerged in a container that is connected to the pool. Water flows into a skimmer then to the pump house where the submersible pump then pushes the water out to perforated big-O pipes in the planting bed.
I am trying to find out what the rules are for submersible pumps in/around swimming pools. I understand that such pumps cannot be placed directly in the swimming area, but I can't find anything in the Canadian or Ontario electrical codes, except that a pump must be located at least 3 m away from a wall of a swimming pool unless the pump is designed for the purpose. Since I would like my pumphouse close to the pond I wonder wether or not I can do this.
Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Robm

Reaction score
If it were me I would make sure that the 20 amp breaker was a GFI or the duplex receptacle that services the load (Maxflo) is a GFI and go ahead with my plans. It's not unusual at all to have the codes people scratch their heads and disagree with each other.

Reaction score
Thanks pondmaster. Using the GFI outlets is a given. And unless I find out differently I will indeed just do it.

Robm

Ask a Question