Electrical Outlets

Reaction score
I have 2 electrical outlets on my house next to the pond. Right now I just have the fountain going. I want to install another fountain on the other end and lights on both fountains. Then of course add on a water fall and filter. And possibly some more underwater lights. For those of you with good size ponds with alot of pumps / lights on it where do you all plug all these in at? Do I need to hire an electrican to put some kind of 6 - 8 pulg in box next to my fountain? How many things do you all have to plug in?

The guy at the store told me I could use the pump I use for my fountain to double as the waterfall pump as well, but I'm just concerned about straning the pump too much or lowering the water pressure to the fountain. Just seems better to me to have a pump for each. Am I thinking right?

Bat

Reaction score
Hi Kev,

im a new memeber o this forum and have my 1st pond, however I am an electrician as well....all i can say is that once you have allocated how many outlets you need, if you not very competent with electricals then i would call someone in, and make sure that the external outlets are weatherproof and also RCD protected. I would recommend MK masterseal outlets. Also if your to have lighting i would recommend a MK masterseal outlets which also houses a programmable timeclock, also please make sure that the electricians are NICEIC registered if your a uk resident.

simon

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have 4 outlets at our pond. Currently running 2 pumps, a UV filter, 2 underwater lights and a large security light. I use light timers I got at Lowes. They have 6 outlets inclosed in a watertight box. I have one next to the outlets and one next to the pond by the filters for easy access. I then run additional timers for the lights. The boxes can be set for 24 hour use, dusk to dawn or a set number of hours. They work great and will handle a heavy load.

Reaction score
Bat said:
Hi Kev,

im a new memeber o this forum and have my 1st pond, however I am an electrician as well....all i can say is that once you have allocated how many outlets you need, if you not very competent with electricals then i would call someone in, and make sure that the external outlets are weatherproof and also RCD protected. I would recommend MK masterseal outlets. Also if your to have lighting i would recommend a MK masterseal outlets which also houses a programmable timeclock, also please make sure that the electricians are NICEIC registered if your a uk resident.

simon

Thanks for the info. I've never messed with anything electrical (especially so close to water, so I think I will definetly have someone come in and do it.)

Reaction score
mrsclem said:
We have 4 outlets at our pond. Currently running 2 pumps, a UV filter, 2 underwater lights and a large security light. I use light timers I got at Lowes. They have 6 outlets inclosed in a watertight box. I have one next to the outlets and one next to the pond by the filters for easy access. I then run additional timers for the lights. The boxes can be set for 24 hour use, dusk to dawn or a set number of hours. They work great and will handle a heavy load.

That sounds like exactly what I need. thanks!! Do you have a pic I could see of it?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Kevin-
sorry it took so long for the pics. 1st one is the covered electrical box with 2 double GCFI outlets. 2nd is the timer boxes with 6 oulets each. can be fornd at Lowes or True Value hardware.

Attachments

• 100_0485.jpg
    100_0485.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 555
  • 100_0487.JPG
    100_0487.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 502
Reaction score
Np. thanks for the pic. Now I have an idea in my head as to what to explain to the electrician. Kinda of a visual person. Thanks!!!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Kevin-
Just make sure you know where all the wires run above and below ground. I cut into my main line with a pole pruner- thought it was a raspberry cane! I've painted all above ground wires red!

Ask a Question