Elephant Ears in a pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just bought a large Elephant Ear bulb, can I put it in amongst the rocks at the pond edge? With just the bottom of it in the water so it won't rot?
I want the root to grow into the water. What do you think? Anyone try this? It will be in full sun.
Barb

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've grown elephant ears in my patio pond and big pond every year - various kinds. They do great. I've never tried staring one from a bulb in the pond though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve seen them as bog plants, not sure how they were started, or how much water was on the bulb. Let us know!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have put them in window boxes along sides of pond with water spraying overtop. They do almost too good. Roots get so large they break the window boxes.
025.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I sometimes start them in the pond but they get so big that it is hard for them to stand without falling. I usually end up removing them and plating them in the yard after a while.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started the jumbo bulbs in a bucket last year and put them directly in the bog once it was warm enough and they did great. They were submerged completely and did awesome. I just put the whole lot down into the pea gravel with the dirt attached.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some one year, started with two ended up with around 10, tried to over winter them but they didn't make it. Supposed to be easy but didn't work for me.

Ask a Question