'ello all! Joshaeus reporting in

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am a young adult that lives in New England, zone 5, and while I have had fish tanks for about 2 years, I just got permission to set up a water garden this year. Said water garden will be an above ground giant flowerpot (not giant by pond standards, alas...both a good and a bad thing) on the east side of the house, containing water hawthorn, hornwort, an aquarium lily species (to provide flowers in the summer when the hawthorn is dormant), and perhaps some other plants and a few fish. The pot is going to be above ground...thus, the fish and lilies will likely only be in the pond for the summer months (the hornwort and hawthorn should be able to be in there at least from mid spring to mid fall, I believe...please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this! :) If I used an electric water de-icer to keep the pot liquid the entire year, could I keep the hawthorn and hornwort out year round?). Anyhow, thankx for any replies!

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Maybe I mistyped that? I meant the water hawthorn, Aponogeton distachyos, would flower. My bad! :) Technically I believe hornwort is a flowering plant, but I have yet to hear whether it actually flowers.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Not sure about Hornwort, but the Hawthorn should be hardy, I've collected it at an alpine pond before.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hornwort can get a tiny little flower but it IS tiny. I don't think hornwort will over winter in a pot even if yiu have a heater unless of course yiu have that heater set quite high!

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Could've sworn you could fine Ceratophyllum up to Alaska...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
My hornwort stays in the ponds year round. Some gets frozen solid, always comes back. I had some hawthorn, it disappeared. It is the one plant that is supposed to grow and bloom in the cold months, late winter early spring, dormant during the summer months. Smells like vanilla.

"Winter Care: Winterize water hawthorn the same as you would a hardy water lily. Once the plant is killed by frost, drop the pot to the deepest part of the pond so the tubers do not freeze."

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't know exactly which pot, but likely a resin pot with a 22 inch diameter from Lowes. Thankx for all the replies!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know if the pots at Lowes hold water but I have this tub and I love it

http://www.tricker.com/index.php?si....00&ecom--prodsearch--pricemax=&SUBMIT=Submit

trickerplastictubgarden.jpg

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum. You can start out small like most of us did and sooner or later you will be starting your "Dream Pond" that will always be expanded and added on. So just between me and you, you found a great group of people here!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crystal8899

Latest Threads