Emergency chlorine problem

Reaction score
A friend just called me in a panic. He was filling some of the water in his pond from cleaning, he did not have any de-chlorinator. I told him as long as he didn't fill it more than 10%, he would be OK. Well he let his water go filling when he left for his mom's house for Mother's Day, came back 5 hours later and realized he hadn't shut off the water. Is there any way to help stabilize his water? Pet stores are closed here now.....

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know in my pool, aeration would get rid of the chlorine faster. Not sure if it would help the fish, but add some airstones

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have an air compressor you can use that in an emergency .But being that it's a cool evening they should be fine until tomorrow hopefully .If you have your filter going put extra fine filter media in there to add more cleaning to the pond .Cleaning the water more should help a little .Extra pumps just pumping in the pond will add more air to the water also .

Reaction score
Ran back to my house for my airstone and my small quarantine tank pump and filter. We may be lucky since he had the water entering the pond right by his overflow area. Hopefully they will make through the night with these additions...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
An emergency such as this can be handled by buying 5 gallon bottles of drinking water, putting a liner in a trash can, add air, and you have a chlorine free place for the night.
This water can be bought 24/7 anywhere.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
he may get lucky, If they weren't in shock or gasping by this time the water company may be low concentration of chlorimine or Chlorine. If he was adding water slow enough it may not be strong enough to harm the fish. I have seen people get away with this more times than they got wipe outs. It's not good, but if he gets lucky he may have just done a big water change and all be OK, Next 24 hours will tell. In most cases if it is chlorine/chlorimine poisoning the damage is done in about the first 6-12 hours. After 48 all the left over should be gone and if all is well everything should be good. Keep us posted

Reaction score
Check the website of the company that supplies the tapwater. There will be probably be test results on it somewhere. If he is lucky, its possible there is almost no chlorine in the tap water. Where I live, the water company no longer adds chlorine to the water, but switched to UV lights a few years ago.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
olee hope it worked out for your friend.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great, tell them to go to home depot, for around 9 dollars you can get a hose timer, it only lets the water run for the time you set it. Usually an hour or 1/2 hour. Then shuts it off so you can't forget.

We have a well, so anytime i water, fill the pond whatever, it is on that timer.

Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone that offered advice, my friend did not lose a single fish. Many thanks to all the advice given.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic olee...............glad to hear.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Good to hear. We all have done that bonehead move before, at least I have. I lost 30 fish a couple years ago leaving the hose on all night. :cool:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fortunately I have well water and if it ever overfills it's not tragic. Glad to hear your friends fish made it through........hope it never happens again

Ask a Question