Emergency help needed please.

Reaction score
I am looking after a neighbours very big outdoor pond for 10 days whilst he is on holiday. The pond is full of Koi Carp and other fish. During this very hot weather the pond has filled with green algae and the pump keeps blocking up; I am having to clean the pump out 2 or 3 times a day; I have bought some barley hay and put that in and tried to scoop out as much of the algae as I can. I notice that the amount of water seems to have gone down, about an inch of the liner is showing; is it safe to top the water up from the hose pipe which is connected to the domestic water supply? Very grateful for any help that you can give me please.

Reaction score
I am looking after a neighbours very big outdoor pond for 10 days whilst he is on holiday. The pond is full of Koi Carp and other fish. During this very hot weather the pond has filled with green algae and the pump keeps blocking up; I am having to clean the pump out 2 or 3 times a day; I have bought some barley hay and put that in and tried to scoop out as much of the algae as I can. I notice that the amount of water seems to have gone down, about an inch of the liner is showing; is it safe to top the water up from the hose pipe which is connected to the domestic water supply? Very grateful for any help that you can give me please.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't keep koi
The ones that do will be answering but they are prob still sleeping lol it is early here.
If you have chlorine in your water, ie not well water, you will need to dechlor the water.

The algae sounds like string algae, does it look like long green strings? I have used hydrogen peroxide to help control it, 1 liter per 1000 gallons, they may have better ideas, i have read in here it is hard on the fishes gills.

The koi keepers will want to know how big the pond it to be able to help you out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't keep koi
The ones that do will be answering but they are prob still sleeping lol it is early here.
If you have chlorine in your water, ie not well water, you will need to dechlor the water.

The algae sounds like string algae, does it look like long green strings? I have used hydrogen peroxide to help control it, 1 liter per 1000 gallons, they may have better ideas, i have read in here it is hard on the fishes gills.

The koi keepers will want to know how big the pond it to be able to help you out.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You can add a 1" or 2" with out having to worry about the chlorine

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You can add a 1" or 2" with out having to worry about the chlorine

Reaction score
Thanks very much to both of you; I shall go and put some water in now. The pond is lozenge shaped, about 15' long and 5' wide. It has a wall about 1' high all the way round and I would think it is about 5'deep. At least I knelt on the wall and tried to feel the bottom and I couldn't ! :)

Reaction score
Thanks very much to both of you; I shall go and put some water in now. The pond is lozenge shaped, about 15' long and 5' wide. It has a wall about 1' high all the way round and I would think it is about 5'deep. At least I knelt on the wall and tried to feel the bottom and I couldn't ! :)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If it is string algae, that will clear up over time. I just pull out the excess to try and control it until nature takes over.

If it is single cell algae and you have thick muck in the bottom, that is another story.

What kind of algae do you have?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If it is string algae, that will clear up over time. I just pull out the excess to try and control it until nature takes over.

If it is single cell algae and you have thick muck in the bottom, that is another story.

What kind of algae do you have?

Reaction score
I think that it must be string algae because when I lift the pump out of the water, it hangs down in strings; when it is in the net or in the pump it's a horrible bright green slimey dollop! I'm also looking after his tomatoes and a garden full of flowers; we're having very warm weather here, 28 centigrade, (For us in the UK that is) and everything is drying out very quickly. I have just been over and put some water in and will go and do a bit more before I go to bed. My neighbour should be back in 48 hours so I shall leave it up to him to sort the pond out ! After 10 days, this pensioner has had quite enough thank you !!

Reaction score
I think that it must be string algae because when I lift the pump out of the water, it hangs down in strings; when it is in the net or in the pump it's a horrible bright green slimey dollop! I'm also looking after his tomatoes and a garden full of flowers; we're having very warm weather here, 28 centigrade, (For us in the UK that is) and everything is drying out very quickly. I have just been over and put some water in and will go and do a bit more before I go to bed. My neighbour should be back in 48 hours so I shall leave it up to him to sort the pond out ! After 10 days, this pensioner has had quite enough thank you !!

Reaction score
I forgot to say that my friend doesn't use computers but I shall be more than happy to tell him about this Forum and if he needs advice or just a chat, I shall be only too happy to act as a go-between; you have been so kind and helpful .:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Ask a Question