Emergency, Please Help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the scales are sticking out, as they seem to be, that's dropsy. The kidneys are not working well, and they aren't able to pull the water out of the tissues like they should. So the fish is retaining water, causing swelling and because of the swelling, the scales are lifting.

I think your fish has septicemia, and that's not good.

In my opinion, clean water will help more than salt.

If others are saying it isn't dropsy, what do they think the problem is?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is it definitely dropsy? I have some people telling me it's not dropsy so i'm quite confused. The issue is that in the UK aquarium salt is a really important tool to have against bacterial infections. I cannot get antibiotics and I cannot use the medication i've been using (esha 2000) because the standard dose is for 3 days and I continued it for another 3 days. I need to keep the environment as sterile as possible and the only way I can do that other than water changes is with salts :cry:
“Bacterial infection” can be external or internal. Dropsy is usually caused by something INTERNALLY that has caused the fish’s internal organs (kidneys) to shut down. Salt does not “sterilize” the water. It messes with the fish’s metabolism.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Others are saying internal bacterial infection, septicemia or internal parasites. And that the scales are only sticking out in localized areas not the entire body, if there was water retention the scales would stick out across the entire body uniformly. It's all very confusing. If it is septicemia I don't think there is anything else I can do. I can't get access to antibiotics and I don't know what else I can use to treat it. I think he's going to die.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you have a fish vet or university with a veterinary school near you? If not, and you feel like your fish is getting worse, rather than allow it to suffer, it might be time to consider euthanasia. We can only offer suggestions, but since no one here has eyes-on the fish, we can’t help you beyond that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Whether or not all the scales are sticking out or not depends on the extent of the lack of kidney function. Your fish evidently still has some amount of kidney function, just not enough.

I would be very surprised if it has anything to do with internal parasites.

I'm sorry about your fish. Injectable antibiotics would be the best treatment at this stage, along with epsom salt baths. But it may be too late.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Whether or not all the scales are sticking out or not depends on the extent of the lack of kidney function. Your fish evidently still has some amount of kidney function, just not enough.

I'm sorry about your fish. Injectable antibiotics would be the best treatment at this stage, along with epsom salt baths. But it may be too late.
WG; I wanted to ask--if it WAS internal parasites, would there be improvement by now from the salt? I'd think so, but have never had this type of disease/infestation. Even an infection I'd think would show progress toward better health after a week of salt baths. Whatcha think?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have a fish vet or university with a veterinary school near you? If not, and you feel like your fish is getting worse, rather than allow it to suffer, it might be time to consider euthanasia. We can only offer suggestions, but since no one here has eyes-on the fish, we can’t help you beyond that.
I don't. Even if I did here in England it would cost hundreds :( If he gets worse I will have to consider that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Could the scales sticking out be caused by the lump under the scales? It's like a cyst or a giant pimple, stuff just keeps oozing out of it.

I don't really think it is parasites either but I suppose there could be a slim chance that internal parasites could cause a cyst to form.

It is very unfortunate that we can't get antibiotics without a prescription here... I just wish I had some leftover from when i've been sick. I hope the kanaplex I ordered gets here soon, maybe it will be able to save him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Brokensword, Internal infections are tough to treat. Baytril injections will sometimes help. Once the fish becomes septic, there isn't much that can be done. The infection has spread throughout the body. Septicemia is even difficult to treat in humans and is life threatening and requires hospitalization and constant care.

Salt has been used so much for parasites that it isn't very effective anymore. Many parasites have developed immunity to salt. It might have some affect on external parasites.

Pichi, aren't the scales sticking out on both sides?

You could try to treat the abscess with triple antibiotic and iodine. And try to drain the pus, if you can,. Then fill the sore with antibiotic salve. But it seems that the infection has spread internally. The redness in other areas are an indication. But there is no reason not to try. The fish hasn't given up yet, so what is there to lose?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brokensword, Internal infections are tough to treat. Baytril injections will sometimes help. Once the fish becomes septic, there isn't much that can be done. The infection has spread throughout the body. Septicemia is even difficult to treat in humans and is life threatening and requires hospitalization and constant care.

Salt has been used so much for parasites that it isn't very effective anymore. Many parasites have developed immunity to salt. It might have some affect on external parasites.

Pichi, aren't the scales sticking out on both sides?

You could try to treat the abscess with triple antibiotic and iodine. And try to drain the pus, if you can,. Then fill the sore with antibiotic salve. But it seems that the infection has spread internally. The redness in other areas are an indication. But there is no reason not to try. The fish hasn't given up yet, so what is there to lose?
Yes the scales are sticking out on both sides.

I can't get anything with antibiotics in it at all. Not even for humans, unless I had an infection and went to the doctors (which I would gladly do). It is illegal to sell antibiotics without a prescription here. Is there anything else I can try?

I'm giving him a break from treatment for 2 days and slowly removing the salt from the water. I've done a 50% water change today and will do another tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can't get triple antibiotic ointment over the counter? The most common name brand here is Neosporin. You might be able to order a powdered form, tri-cide neo.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a look and I could order it from America (which would take weeks to arrive) but I can't get it here. They don't sell it in the UK as it is illegal to sell antibiotics over the counter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had a look and I could order it from America (which would take weeks to arrive) but I can't get it here. They don't sell it in the UK as it is illegal to sell antibiotics over the counter.
dayum; seems Big Pharma over there is really lax; I mean, they're missing an opportunity to take advantage of sick folks at obscene prices...

vig

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would:
  1. move the fish out of the main tank to see if the problem is in the main tank
  2. check if your fish condition improve or not
  3. If it improves, then we know the issue is in the main tank

Ask a Question