Enlarged pond and 4 fish died :( Please help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So happy I found this forum, as I am heartbroken over the loss of fish. As a mothers day gift my son decided to enlarge my pond. It went from 4x6 to 6x9 18" deep. Unfortunately the same weekend my neighbor cut down their tree, which gave my pond shade, so now it is in full sun most of the afternoon. I used live nitrifying bacteria when I set up the new larger filter but my water is still like pea soup. I have been testing it daily and the readings are usually GH 0, KH 80, PH 7.5 (it has gone up to 8) NO2 0 and NO3 20. 3 days ago I did another 20% water change and put in Algaefix. I am down to one koi, that is about 1 foot long, I've had him for 3 years and really don't want to lose him too. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Kathy.
Well, that's heartbreaking.
What did your son do after enlarging the pond? Did he immediately add in the water and fish?
Do you have an ammonia test? If so, please post the numerical result.
Which nitrifying bacteria did you add?
What do you have for filtration and water circulation and/or aeration?
Are you on well water or municipal water? Was a de-chlorinator used?
What kind of water temperatures are you seeing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome Kathy.
Well, that's heartbreaking.
What did your son do after enlarging the pond? Did he immediately add in the water and fish?
Do you have an ammonia test? If so, please post the numerical result.
Which nitrifying bacteria did you add?
What do you have for filtration and water circulation and/or aeration?
Are you on well water or municipal water? Was a de-chlorinator used?
What kind of water temperatures are you seeing?
Thank you for responding, I am so upset as I truly love my fish and enjoyed watching them swim around. Okay so to answer your questions. He purchased a kiddie pool and filled that with water from the original pond. When he finished the new pond he added Aquasafe and added the fish, with the old pond water back in. For filtration I am actually using two filters right now, my old pondmaster 1250 is being used for the waterfall, and I purchased a Laguna PowerClear Multi All In One Pond Filter with a built in UV (but I don't think the uv bulb is good so I just ordered a new one). unfortunately I do not have a ammonia test kit, I've been using the test strips and they for some reason do not have that. I will purchase a new test kit soon. The water temps have been in the 70's. I used the DR Foster and Smith live nitrifying bacteria. thank you for any advice you can offer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Ok.
The good news is that the worst is probably over.
If the pond has been running since about Mother's day, a substantial enough biofilm layer has probably by now developed so that your pond is able to sustain a fish population.

The bad news is that your previous fish deaths were probably due to ammonia poisoning.
Your existing fish has probably suffered some damage to its' gills so it's not in the best of shape and there's no way to repair the damage.

Don't try and kill or remove the existing algae. It's actually protecting your fish from further damage.
Make sure you have good water circulation and don't feed your fish until you can get some ammonia readings.
Are you on a well? Your water KH and GH readings seem low. GH and KH are kind of like bookends for your PH value, keeping the PH within healthy, stable levels.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Okay, so if I am understanding this the algae is feeding on the ammonia and I should just leave the water green until I can get a read on the ammonia level? So no more water changes, I am on municipal water, the PH seems to be rather steady. I've been testing daily for a few weeks in the later afternoons, and it is most often 7.5 I did have 1 reading of 8 earlier in the day, and 6.5 another day after I did a partial water change. Which I've been doing every 3 days or so. But then I read the PH fluctuations are very harmful and found this forum :) So I should just be patient? I don't want to add any more fish until I know they will survive???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Okay, so if I am understanding this the algae is feeding on the ammonia and I should just leave the water green until I can get a read on the ammonia level? So no more water changes, I am on municipal water, the PH seems to be rather steady. I've been testing daily, later afternoons, and it is most often 7.5 I did have 1 reading of 8 earlier in the day, and 6.5 another day after I did a partial water change. Which I've been doing every 3 days or so. But then I read the PH fluctuations are very harmful and found this forum :) So I should just be patient? I don't want to add any more fish until I know they will survive???
i'm thinking I will order the ammonia test kit and get instant ammonia remover at the same time just in case. Your thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The test kit is a good idea, an ammonia binder won't hurt to have on hand.
Don't add the binder unless you have a positive ammonia test though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
pond1.jpg here is a phot of the pond. I have the 2 filters with a waterfall and fountain so I think that should help with aeration. Any other advice is gladly welcomed!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok.
The good news is that the worst is probably over.
If the pond has been running since about Mother's day, a substantial enough biofilm layer has probably by now developed so that your pond is able to sustain a fish population.

The bad news is that your previous fish deaths were probably due to ammonia poisoning.
Your existing fish has probably suffered some damage to its' gills so it's not in the best of shape and there's no way to repair the damage.

Don't try and kill or remove the existing algae. It's actually protecting your fish from further damage.
Make sure you have good water circulation and don't feed your fish until you can get some ammonia readings.
Are you on a well? Your water KH and GH readings seem low. GH and KH are kind of like bookends for your PH value, keeping the PH within healthy, stable levels.
Don't worry about appearance right now. Focus on water quality.
Excellent explanations!

@Kathy G Two things to add: 1). The liquid test kits tend to be more reliable than the test strips, and 2) Whatever you do, don't add any more fish for the time being! I know it's tempting, but you need to get this under control first. Also, where do you live?
And welcome to our group, just sorry that it's under these circumstances.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Kathy and welcome! It looks like Mitch has given you some excellent advice. If you ever change anything in your pond again the best thing is to keep your biofilter working even if it's just for the kiddie pool. Turning it off even for a few hours will kill all the bb in it let alone taking it apart and cleaning it. I built a new pond last year for my new home got it ready by letting a new filter run for two weeks in my old pond. I quickly ran it to my new pond when it was set up and moved about 50 fish a few days after that and they were all fine.

Ask a Question