EPDM liner or hard liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m undecided whether I should buy a flexible or hard liner. I think a hard liner would be easier to work with.

This is the 3rd pond I’m building (3rd home) in the span of 15 years. My experience with 45 millimeter liners is the bulky and unsightly folds around irregular shapes of the pond. Is there a method of cutting and splicing (gluing) the liner for a better fit?

The irregular shape in the front of the pond I’m building is obvious (pic’s). If this pond were a perfect rectangle, it would measure 13’ L, 10’ W, 2’ D.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Pond4.jpg
    Pond4.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Pond3.jpg
    Pond3.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 238

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's all in how yiu tuck and fold extra epdm material. I'm not perfectionist enough to care whether or not it looks perfect. When you say hard liner I assume yiu mean preformed? If so then you really need to build around that. I would also never consider splicing epdm liner even though many do,having a leak is a pita.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hard liner shift and rise up during spring and fall freezes and can also shift after a lot of rain gets under them .I know had one to start until house was done and was I happy to get rid of that thing and they can also crack easier and plus in heat you can cook your fish because they are not deep enough .I would never want another one ,save your self the headaches .I know there is a company in Florida (I think )that makes liners the shape you need but can't remember the name .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd personally recommend the EPDM flexible liner. I've had both kinds and Flexible liners aren't necessarily easier to work with, but you get more of a natural shape with it, and it's easier to hide the edges than it is with a preformed liner. I know what you mean about the folds, I was no expert at it when I put mine in and my folds still bug me, but I'd still prefer them to the hard shell look of a preformed liner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
after folds get muck on them they become harder to see .The rectangular pond I did only had folds in each corner and I treated it like putting sheets on a bed or wrapping a present

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get the EPDM. Tuck the folds in the correct direction so they will not gather debris. You can use liner tape to cover the folds if you wish but it is kind of pricey.

Ask a Question