EPDM patch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Grrrr, I knew it was going to happen and it did. Wolfy's new found partially filled pond excitement got the best of him and he bit through the liner. I never let him around the pond unsupervised since it is not full and good thing because I know exactly where he punctured it. So now for the million dollar question.what'd the best EPDM patch or glue out there? I have plenty of excess so maybe I just need seem glue? Two questions now fire away ole' ye pros.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't panic my good man. There's main ways to patch your rubber. I take it your talking a fang went through the rubber and he didn't shred a section? Cheapest option is to buy a patch kit from any one of these web sites for fish. If you go the roofing route you'll have to buy a gallon of seaming glue, and seam seal in a caulking tube. Use gasoline to clean your rubber prior to making the repair. The second option they have today is what I just used and I was less then impressed with it. It required SEAM TAPE , primer and t joint covers and lap cement. The reason I was not impressed with this method is it creates TWO seams you prime the rubber place the seam tape/ "uncured rubber was my take on it " similar to ice and water barrier then you install an other coat of primer to your rubber patch and peal the seam seal tape and stick the two together . t joint cover the overlaps of the seam tape over laps and caulk with the lap cement. you tube it and I would suggest you practice on a spare piece before you go for the repair. these glues are similar to contact cement you have to let them dry before you try to make the repairs, and try rolling the patch up like a hot dog and place it on the repair then unroll and smooth it out as you go AIR BUBBLES are the enemy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't panic my good man. There's main ways to patch your rubber. I take it your talking a fang went through the rubber and he didn't shred a section? Cheapest option is to buy a patch kit from any one of these web sites for fish. If you go the roofing route you'll have to buy a gallon of seaming glue, and seam seal in a caulking tube. Use gasoline to clean your rubber prior to making the repair. The second option they have today is what I just used and I was less then impressed with it. It required SEAM TAPE , primer and t joint covers and lap cement. The reason I was not impressed with this method is it creates TWO seams you prime the rubber place the seam tape/ "uncured rubber was my take on it " similar to ice and water barrier then you install an other coat of primer to your rubber patch and peal the seam seal tape and stick the two together . t joint cover the overlaps of the seam tape over laps and caulk with the lap cement. you tube it and I would suggest you practice on a spare piece before you go for the repair. these glues are similar to contact cement you have to let them dry before you try to make the repairs, and try rolling the patch up like a hot dog and place it on the repair then unroll and smooth it out as you go AIR BUBBLES are the enemy
Great advise thank you, yep it was a fang not a full.fledge tear which I know you are all too familiar with. Now I debate a patch kit vs the seam patch. I really hope this to not be a reoccurring event (Wolfy gets leashed till the pond is done period!) I will post up on how it goes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great advise thank you, yep it was a fang not a full.fledge tear which I know you are all too familiar with. Now I debate a patch kit vs the seam patch. I really hope this to not be a reoccurring event (Wolfy gets leashed till the pond is done period!) I will post up on how it goes.
Good luck. I think the fish patch is your best bet I believe they are clean, peal and stick and caulk. if it's not behind a 4500 pound boulder id say go for it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
if you patch it cut the patch round. less chance of the patch catching on something vrs square

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if you patch it cut the patch round. less chance of the patch catching on something vrs square
Very true; there is a pond digger episode where they suggest cutting the corners but I like round more great advice.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sand lightly liner and patch before glue is put on and let cure to tacky

Ask a Question