EPDM sealant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I have constructed a small filter basin which is wood and lined with left over EPDM liner material. There are some very small leaks in two of the corners and I want to buy a caulking that will work. The local stores don't seem to carry Firestone EPDM sealant. Any suggestions? I can always buy it on line, but if there is an alternative product that would work, please advise.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Thanks,
I tried a DAP roofing product but it didn't work with EPDM. I recall a while back when I bought some kind of butyl rubber sealant from Home Depot that worked and this might be it.

Reaction score
When you buy these sealents, you can't just use anything--as it may not be fish safe as per Nigil's comment.

John, are you able to lower the water volume to work on the leaky area dry? If so, P&L is right up your alley. You can water that area within 24 hours.

If not, then you need something that can seal under water such as this: http://www.pondliner.com/product/Sealant_One_Shot/pond_construction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
What I am doing is constructing a small box for use as a liner in a small waterfall in a short stream. The outside of the fall is made of rock and concrete. I lined the box with left over epdm but down in the corners, it was not perfectly covered/sealed by the epdm so I just need a sealant to cover those tiny areas. Once before, in a forum someone recommended a type of butyl sealant that worked really well on my big filter. That stuff has been there five years and it never did anything to the fish.

Reaction score
ah, i see what you're doing. Just lining a box with liner. Gotcha. The P&L will work fine, or any aquarium sealant. I don't know the butyl sealant you mention....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I think it was butyl base. (the mind tends to fade with age..) I will take a picture or two of what I am doing and post it when I can. Actually, water from the pond is pumped into the reservoir (the box) and then it goes out in a pipe spillway over the rock structure I constructed and the drops down into the small stream. I made the box so it is hidden and it does away with trying to seal or line the rock structure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
This is the work in progress. It's pretty much down, though.

Attachments

• Pond filter 5-16-2010.jpg
    Pond filter 5-16-2010.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 440
Reaction score
good rock work! Nice disguise. Throw a couple of ornamental grasses or some bog plants in there and it will soften everything up for a final finish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
ah, i see what you're doing. Just lining a box with liner. Gotcha. The P&L will work fine, or any aquarium sealant. I don't know the butyl sealant you mention....
I have used the butyl before I bought as “pond liner seam tape” from a local pond store. It worked but liner has to be perfectly clean and perfectly dry. I am very familiar with working with butyl as installed auto glass in the 80’s when they were still using it just don’t let anyone sell you butyl in a caulking gun tube because it doesn’t harden will separate and just collect dirt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have used the butyl before I bought as “pond liner seam tape” from a local pond store. It worked but liner has to be perfectly clean and perfectly dry. I am very familiar with working with butyl as installed auto glass in the 80’s when they were still using it just don’t let anyone sell you butyl in a caulking gun tube because it doesn’t harden will separate and just collect dirt
Did I just reply to a8 year old post. I said i would do it again .i hope I learn this time:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Haha, @warren that is too funny. I almost fall for this all the time myself. I start typing a clever response then notice the date from the most recent post was from ten years ago and I'm like... delete, delete, delete. :banghead::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Haha, @warren that is too funny. I almost fall for this all the time myself. I start typing a clever response then notice the date from the most recent post was from ten years ago and I'm like... delete, delete, delete. :banghead::LOL::ROFLMAO:
I thought I hit the new post.guess not.to bad I actually know something about butyl . Installed a lot of glass with it. Till they decided it wasn’t safe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Polyurethane sealants are what your looking for and if your going to add plants to the box I would definitely cut new pieces and double up on your seams / where you have your leak the plants roots are stronger then you'd imagine

Ask a Question