Equipment for a duck pond?

Reaction score
I have a 180 gallon preformed pond and a little 10 gallon waterfall attachment that hangs over the 180 gallon part of it.

I plan on using it for 2-3 mallard ducks..

I am going to buy:
This pump --> Laguna PowerJet Pond Pump 900
This filter --> Laguna Pressure-Flo Filter 1400

I plan on having the pump make a little fountain (with the attachment that comes with it), then it will pump water into the external filter that has bio, mechanical, & UV filtration, finally the water will come out into the little 10 gallon pond then flow like a waterfall into the 180 gallon pond

My question is will this combo work in keeping the pond extra clean? I do not plan on putting anything else into the pond..I just want something that will keep the ducks happy and that does not have to be cleaned every week

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Three mallards in 190 gallons of water? Save yourself some money; the pump and filter would clog up in a very short time. Even if it kept running, the filter would be totally useless on duck crap. You would be dumping the water on a daily basis and refilling with fresh water. You may want to reconsider this idea; Ducks are dirty!
John

Reaction score
Three mallards in 190 gallons of water? Save yourself some money; the pump and filter would clog up in a very short time. Even if it kept running, the filter would be totally useless on duck crap. You would be dumping the water on a daily basis and refilling with fresh water. You may want to reconsider this idea; Ducks are dirty!
John

thanks,

so...no filter is gunna be able to handle the duck poop?

I got these ponds for free so I was just seeing what I could do

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry. I've kept Woodducks in the past, and believe me, they make one hell of a mess. Mallards are bigger and messier. Not trying to discourage you, just telling it like it is. Get something like a kids' wading pool that you can dump every day or two and refill with fresh water. Much cheaper than a pump and pressure filter! Good luck.
John

Reaction score
Sorry. I've kept Woodducks in the past, and believe me, they make one hell of a mess. Mallards are bigger and messier. Not trying to discourage you, just telling it like it is. Get something like a kids' wading pool that you can dump every day or two and refill with fresh water. Much cheaper than a pump and pressure filter! Good luck.
John

I kind of figured, I was hoping i could do something that would last without dumping water everyday...oh well

thanks man

Reaction score
I love a challenge...dumping the water every few days is straightforward...but since you're getting ready to drop some coin, like $300, you have a budget.

Sell the perform and buy a EPDM liner. Now you can install a bottom drain and skimmer. Yes, in a 180 gal pond...so outrageous it's cool as hell. Pipe both by gravity to a sieve filter. That will get rid of a lot of duck crap tout de suite. From there into a long narrow bog filter made from EDPM, like 12-18" deep, maybe 10-12" wide. Pump water from the end of the bog back into the pond. Long narrow bog filters can switch back so they're actually any shape. Add plants to the bog. The bog can be outside of the duck pen so the ducks don't eat all the plants.

This would basically be an aquaponics setup, with ducks instead of fish. I don't know how long the bog would have to be, maybe the 50' to 100' range? Who knows, could work so well you might want to remove the sieve filter altogether.

The Laguna Pressure-Flo Filter 1400 is a pretty bad filter in normal ponds...completely worthless in a duck pond.

I've often thought of a duck pond...you have me thinking now.

Reaction score
@WaterBug

I have no problem buying a liner and going that route, I actually prefer that way..

The bottom drain sounds like a good idea, but is it that much better? From my quick googling, I guess, I will have something like: http://www.lagunakoi...ins-sc-226.html or a Rhino bottom drain that is also listed on that page?

Does a pump go inside that drain? Then a PVC pipe will connect the drain to an above ground bio filter? I really dont want to build a bog, was hoping to buy/make some kind of filter

Why is the Laguna Pressure-Flo Filter 1400 such a bad filter?

Reaction score
This forum does not have an edit button?, sorry for the double post

anyway I completely changed my equipment:

I will be using an EPDM liner to create a 250-400 gallon pond

I am going to buy:
Pump --> Little Giant OPWG-46 External
Filter --> Ultima II 1000
Bottom Drain --> Rhino or easypro most likely
Debris basket & check valve
*Might be adding an air diffuser to the drain
*Might be adding an inline UV to the Ultima filter

I plan to have a two level pond. The bottom pond will be like 250 gallons then I will have a small 10-20 gallon above that (my yard has a slight hill) that will allow for a waterfall type thing

What about this?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It has an edit button, only good for around an hour, I think. Then you can't edit. It used to be 10 minutes, but they changed it.

Reaction score
I have no problem buying a liner and going that route, I actually prefer that way..
Cool. Although I'm kind of bummed you'd make the pond larger...180 gal pond with a bottom drain, skimmer and 100' long bog...boggles the mind.

The bottom drain sounds like a good idea, but is it that much better? From my quick googling, I guess, I will have something like: http://www.lagunakoi...ins-sc-226.html or a Rhino bottom drain that is also listed on that page?
I was just thinking a simple 4" ABS pipe since originally this was a 180 gal pond. No fish to protect so I saw no reason to buy a drain. I just like easy.

Does a pump go inside that drain?
Nope.

Then a PVC pipe will connect the drain to an above ground bio filter?
Other way around. Drain and skimmer drain by gravity to a lower level pond, or as I suggested, a bog (pond filled with gravel). Pump is placed in the bog and pumps water up to the pond. By "lower" I'm talking about water levels. The lower level only has to be an inch lower, but more is fine.

I really dont want to build a bog, was hoping to buy/make some kind of filter
A bog is a filter. And it's the proper filter imo for this set up. Basically you'd be running a fully functioning sewage treatment plant. A constructed wetland system would fit the bill. Well, not so much the bill as the other end.

But, if you're jonesing for some hardware I suggest a bead filter. Back years ago these where the hottest thing in Koi ponds. Were thought to be the first perfect combo filter, mechanical and bio. Like all combo filters it just isn't possible. But these have still found service in some ponds as pre-filters...filtering crap, just what you need. You'd still need to backwash often, which would probably use 50-100 gals, so I'm not sure of the benefit other than having a really cool looking machine.

I like simple myself and sieve filters have blown bead filters away. But lots of people still love to have a lot of really complicated looking machinery. Filter collecting is the hobby. For more than a few people a pond is only needed to legitimize the real hobby...buying filters. I'm not throwing stones. Nothing sensible about any of my hobbies.

Why is the Laguna Pressure-Flo Filter 1400 such a bad filter?
Pressurized for no apparent reason, so it just costs more to push less water through it. Fix submerged media is 10-30 less efficient at ammonia and nitrite conversion than a media that is kept clean like moving bed, trickle tower, etc. Fix submerged media has to be cleaned vs self cleaning filters. Initial costs. They split open sometimes. And that's just why its a poor filter for a fish pond. Duck ponds have other issues.

One more thing to add.. Tangential Pond Return. Normally there would be 2, but 1 is fine for a pond this small. Without a TPR the drain is just a pipe.

Basically this baby would be a toilet flushing 24/7. Cool as hell.

You can still have the 10-20 gal waterfall thing. You would need a catch basin to direct water flow into a TPR, but doable. Or add a second pump which is easier if paying for electric is easier than some DIY.

Reaction score
Having kept ducks with a cement pond before I know first hand how messy they are. Unless you want to get into some large elaborate water purification system like Waterbug is suggesting you WILL end up with a stinky cesspool in no time, especially in such a small body of water. Mind you the ducks won't mind the dirty water, they are kind of like pigs in the mud, it just won't look (or smell) very pretty. Eventually it will get so bad though you'll have to do something about it, and that will mean draining, washing it out, and re-filling it. That's not such a terrible thing if you design your little pond from the begining in such a way to make that job easier. If you could build the pond on an elevated spot with a bottom drain that down into a rock pit or somewhere where the water can drain away quickly, then you could just open a valve, let it drain, hose the muck out of the pond, and refill. With a setup like that you wouldn't spend nearly the time draining and hosing it out as you would trying to clean out any kind of filters you might employ, not to mention you'd save yourself some money.

Reaction score
So what about my new setup:

Pump --> Little Giant OPWG-46 External
Filter --> Ultima II 1000

used with a bottom drain & air diffuser

The pond will be max like 300 gallons, shouldnt that be able to filter max of 3 ducks? since it will be cycling the entire pond ?

Reaction score
shouldnt that be able to filter max of 3 ducks?
I don't know...let me check my charts for number of ducks an Ultima II 1000 can support...looking...looking.

I think you're breaking new ground here.

OK, I can't resist...seriously...in theory, if you had an estimate for the amount of poo you expect your ducks to produce and you could find one for fish (fish farming I think would be the best bet) you could in theory normalize ducks to fish. Like maybe 1 duck = 54" of fish. Then you could size the filter. I'm being a bit silly of course, but in theory, you could.

Best thing when breaking new ground is just do it and keep tweaking until you stumble into a solution or you make Duck a l'Orange.

Reaction score
haha, well I called them..

they said "it will filter the water"..."you will have to backwash often because of the amount of waste from the ducks"...

the lady kept saying you need to overshoot the filter size (or something like that), she didnt really say anything when I said my pond would only be a max of 300 gals

she also said i need a pump that pumps XXXX amount, which I already knew

Ask a Question