ETCH-A-SKETCH 101 or THE MICROSCOPIC WORLD OF FISH PONDS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My microscope came Monday!! Yea! Have been having fun (well, more or less) looking at "stuff" from the pond and from fish scrapings.

Problem is, it's been many years since college Micro classes. So not only am I having to learn WHAT I'm looking at (trash vs plant vs animal vs who-knows), but having to re-learn the basic functions of the scope and how to get the best view.

It's like taking ETCH-A-SKETCH 101 :)

Have been taking some pics with the camera through the eyepiece (using iPhone isn't working out too well), and as soon as I get them loaded on the PC, might share a few. I got ALL EXCITED over a couple of "discoveries," only to decide they looked like plants (algae) -- not a problem, though.

Now wishing I'd spent the extra bucks for USB compatibility -- maybe it's an add-on option.....

So far I haven't been finding anything that looks alive (IOW, moving). Maybe I'm not getting the slide to the scope fast enough?

GOOGLE has been my friend & resource as far as looking for images to compare with mine. Guess I'll eventually start staining my slides for better ID's.

At least this is taking my mind off my sick fish for the time being.

Do any of you have pics you've taken of the "things" you've found? I'd love to see them, as I'm sure others would as well. Stories, too :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I saw this yesterday in a sample. I tried drawing it, so please excuse my lack of skill there. It was green, and a lot more impressive in person.
image.jpg

Then I did a search and found this, which is similar.
image.jpg

The only other one I found a semi-match for (but failed to record a pic)
image.jpg

I only found one thing that was moving around, but by the time I switched lenses, couldn't find it again.

There were lots of little "things" that my searches said were diatoms.

Oh, and one thing that I couldn't draw very well, and couldn't find a match for: it was dimensional, and looked like a green ball with projections all around.

Reaction score
Mmathis said:
My microscope came Monday!! Yea! Have been having fun (well, more or less) looking at "stuff" from the pond and from fish scrapings.

____
Now wishing I'd spent the extra bucks for USB compatibility -- maybe it's an add-on option.....

Do any of you have pics you've taken of the "things" you've found? I'd love to see them, as I'm sure others would as well. Stories, too :)
I haven't looked for a while, but I had been considering getting a USB/camera microscope for a many years. The only reason I've held off was because the digital sensor resolution on those things was so far behind the current digital camera sensors resolution it was pitiful. Last time I really looked at them the highest resolution available was about 640x480, which is less than one megapixel.

A quick search and I see now they now have at least 5 megapixel, so I may have to reconsider. ;) http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8236447&csid=_61

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do they make something that makes it possible/easier to attach a digital camera over the eyepiece? For mine, I've been holding it over the scope eyepiece, but it's just not easy to do! And it's just no fun when I see something, to have to manipulate the camera up there for a pic!!!

I saw an attachment-thing for iPhone (or any smartphone?) that lets you position your phone over the eyepiece. But if looks sorta "gagety," and there were no reviews.

Then, I saw an attachment for the iPad (any tablet?), but that darn thing cost more than the microscope did!! But that did look like it operated as an extension to the microscope, where you're using the iPad as the view screen. Neat, but too costly for this hobbiest.

I'm having some luck using the camera. Not having ANY luck using the iPhone.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, and now wishing I'd gone with the 100 power objective lens! When I see something at 400, I want MORE POWER!! :)

There is an open slot on there for another lens, and they give instructions on how to adjust the stage-thingy. Hmm.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I wanted a scope that was digital that I could download pics back to my computer. They were just so expensive. I've seen the eye pieces that can be added on Ebay but I don't know how well they really work. I'd love to get more pics and identifications or some more pictures to use for identification of what were actually suppose to be looking for.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was researching the eyepiece add-ons. But to get the 5 MP raises the cost significantly. There is one co. that has current ads for an iPad version. Boy, would like to be in the beta-test group. But thinking their sales are geared more toward the software than the actual add-on (they're pitching to schools).

I just like the idea of being able to view what my scope sees via a bigger screen. I have "floaters," and sometimes this makes for a lot of distraction. If I see something move, chances are it's not on the slide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted a scope that was digital that I could download pics back to my computer. They were just so expensive. I've seen the eye pieces that can be added on Ebay but I don't know how well they really work. I'd love to get more pics and identifications or some more pictures to use for identification of what were actually suppose to be looking for.
Larkin have you thought about looking on Amazon US ?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Larkin this is very similar to the one we use they are good and reasonably priced :-

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/824021/Bresser-Optik-Biolux-CEA-USB-Microscope-Set-40-1024x

Its PC compatable I wonder if you could get this in the US believe it or not this model is for kids but its a cracking microscope brilliant in what it does you dont have to go for the megga expensive ones

rgrds

dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah, found a critter! It was crawling on the side of a very small tank that I have my "eyelash" fry in. Managed to get it under the scope, but afraid I wasn't too gentle with it and it was kinda partially smooshed (tried to collect it using an eye dropper to suck it off the side, but it didn't want to let go...).

It was a planaria! Kinda neat to watch it! At first I didn't ID it as a planaria because it had cilia, but it didn't resemble ANY of the "ciliates" organisms. The two (or 4) things that stood out were the 2 "eye" spots, the gastric tube, that it was like a solid mass of gel, and that it had cilia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
HJey Maggie arent you going to let us have a look at this critter or at least give us a scetch of it to go by.
I promised you that the microscope would open up a whole new side to fish keeping lol

rgrds

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dave 54 said:
HJey Maggie arent you going to let us have a look at this critter or at least give us a scetch of it to go by.I promised you that the microscope would open up a whole new side to fish keeping lolrgrdsDave
Well, in this case, 'cause it was kinda smooshed around, it it didn't lend itself well to a drawing. And I can't find the battery charger for my real camera, so until then, no pics. Wish I could have, though, cause it was neat! I felt sorry for it -- as I was watching it, I could tell that it was dying by the slowed action of the cilia.

Ask a Question