Evaporation/Leak problem and Pump issue

Reaction score
Hi all -

I bought a house a year ago with a koi pond and this is our first full summer dealing with the it. I have what appears to be an evaporation issue, or so I thought. Live in CT and it's been pretty hot. I keep filling it with the hose but see water keeps trickling out the other side of the pond. It's a small-ish pond, but I have no idea how many gallons or what size it is? I do know that there is a liner and rocks on the outside circumference...and then rocks that hold the liner down along the edges? So the water is a small trickle....and it seems that this possible leak (?) and natural evaporation are draining the water level too fast.

Too often the skimmer section (where the pump is) is too low and the pump sputters, no water gets to the waterfall, and I know that's bad for the pump/filter. And when there's no water there, the pump vibrates too much and knocks the pipe out of the line......and things are bad.

If I have no idea where the leak is....should I have a professional come take a look at it and do it? Anyone know how much that would cost?

Also, we have an upcoming week vacation. Would the pond be OK if I left the waterfall turned off for a full week? I know waterfalls add to the evaporation speed.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This pond is starting to become an utter nuisance because it needs constant babying, checking up on, etc. So now I'm worried about going away for a week and having the pump burn out bc of lack of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Are there fish in there? What size is smallish? width / length / depth? If it's not that big, it might be worth it to you to replace the liner. You will lose some to evaporation, but not as much as it sound based on your description. A good way to maintain your water level is with a drip irrigation system ( low cost at Home Depot ). Sad to hear you're having troubles LittlestWinslow. Hope you can get it worked out as a water feature really adds to the enjoyment of your property once you get it all sorted. I hope you find a solution. BTW.... welcome :)

Reaction score
It is most common for a pond with a waterfall or stream that has a leak for the leak to be in the waterfall or stream. Can you shut it off and see if the leak stops before you go out of town?

Reaction score
Are there fish in there? What size is smallish? width / length / depth? If it's not that big, it might be worth it to you to replace the liner. You will lose some to evaporation, but not as much as it sound based on your description. A good way to maintain your water level is with a drip irrigation system ( low cost at Home Depot ). Sad to hear you're having troubles LittlestWinslow. Hope you can get it worked out as a water feature really adds to the enjoyment of your property once you get it all sorted. I hope you find a solution. BTW.... welcome :)

Yes, there are fish. About 2 large guys, and about 6-9 babies ranging from 1-3 inches. And we do like the waterfall - but I'm super concerned about burning out the pump if we aren't home and the water level gets too low. (It's on a timer). So if the waterfall was turned off for a week - would that be OK, or no?

I probably won't have time to measure it tomorrow, but I'll try to post a picture or tow. If I have to guess, I'd say it's maybe 8 feet long and 3-4 feet wide?

@dieselplower The waterfall is located at the very end of the pond (length-wise), and the leak is coming from the middle on the side. So there's probably a good 4 feet of space between the waterfall and the spot where the leak is. I also checked and I really don't think we're losing water from the waterfall, at least moreso than any natural evaporation/aeration.

I will post pictures tomorrow and show the size and the level of the water. I also think that it should be higher bc we have so much exposed rock and liner showing...do you guys know how expensive a liner replacement is? I have no idea how old the pond or the pump are......and that didn't seem like an important question at the time of the house purchase! lol

Thanks again! Total pond newbie here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
If you can see the water trickling out of the pond, you may have a low spot along the edge under the rock. See if you can move the rock from on the top of the liner on that side. Look to see if the water goes over the edge and if it does build up the edge by putting dirt under the liner to raise it. I have chased leaks and they aren't very fun. Good luck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome, I live in RI so not to far from you. I would buy a air pump with a air stone and run that while you are away vs the pump. If the water levels stays to low for the week that will be very bad for the pump. I agree it sounds like a low spot. I would shut the waterfall off. Fill the pond and see if you still leak. That will eliminate the waterfall/stream as the problem. if it leaks at the trickle area then it will be just a matter of adjusting the rocks and liner. It has been warm and windy so evaporation has been a factor too. I lose a inch or more a day right now.

Reaction score
Here are a few photos of the pond....looking at the photo with the waterfall far right, the skimmer far left (under that green shrub), the lead is in the middle of the opposite wall of the pond.

One shot is an overhead shot (from the deck) and the others are ground level. It's a small-ish pond, as i've said in completely idiot-speak (LOL), but I have no idea how many gallons...? Any guesses?

The side with the leak is covered with heavy rocks. I'm going to try to take a few off and see if I can spot a leak visibly myself and go from there I guess. Still wondering about any thoughts about just leaving the waterfall off for a week, and having someone stop by to check the water level / run the hose if needed.

photo 1(1).JPG
photo 2(1).JPG
photo 3(1).JPG

Reaction score
As you can see in the 2nd picture, the water is pretty low when compared to the skimmer hole opening. And in the 3rd picture, you can see lots of exposed rock in the nook closest to the front/camera.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Very pretty pond. After seeing the pictures, I don't think an edge leak on the pond area is the problem. Running the pump while gone would not be a good idea. As RobAmy said, air stones would be a good option while you are gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Lovely pond. From the pictures, it appears one side of the pond is lower than the other...is that correct, or is it just the picture? Did the pond ever hold water properly? You will not be able to run the pumps while away in this condition.

An air pump is an option, so is an intex pool, where you can set up the fish while you're on vacation and then can work on the pond upon your return? If you move the fish to a kiddie pool, be sure to net it, as the fish will jump.

I'm sorry you're going through this...what an aggravation, just as you're getting ready to go away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Very pretty pond. After seeing the pictures, I don't think an edge leak on the pond area is the problem. Running the pump while gone would not be a good idea. As RobAmy said, air stones would be a good option while you are gone.
That's what I was going to say.

As for the liner, it's not that expensive. I bought 15 x 30 feet for about $150 to $180 if I remember correctly (several years ago). The biggest headache isn't the cost, it's removing everything to get at it, then putting it back. It's a beautiful feature you have and it's worth saving in my opinion ( I would if it were mine). If you do replace it, you could use sand underneath as a buffer or even dry bentonite clay similar to finely ground clumping kitty litter. The bentonite will compact and clump if it gets wet and slow or stop a leak.

But in moving the rocks, if you do find a leak below water level, you can patch it with liner material and the appropriate adhesive (EDPM liner patch). Let it cure and replace the rocks carefully. Hopefully it's just a small puncture if that's where the leak is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
If you can see the water trickling out of the pond, you may have a low spot along the edge under the rock. See if you can move the rock from on the top of the liner on that side. Look to see if the water goes over the edge and if it does build up the edge by putting dirt under the liner to raise it. I have chased leaks and they aren't very fun. Good luck.
No they aren't...lol. Was just discussing that in my thread yesterday and today. Was a low spot on my main pond.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all of your responses - I really appreciate it. I'll start pulling some of the rocks off to see if it just needs a liner adjustment or to see if I can locate a rip.

Ask a Question