Evaporation or a leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my pond now since February ( inherited) so first summer. Tis about 12 foot diameter maybe less. Last Friday we had an amazing storm lasting a couple of hours and pond was as full as I had ever seen it(up to the brim ! ). Within 7 days level has dropped by around 3 inches. Still plenty of water in there mind! I have plenty of plants and have fountainhead going. Is this evaporation or could I have a leak and if I have a leak how do I fix it? Thanks all!

Reaction score
Where are you located? It would help to know the temperature there. Hot and dry will cause more evaporation. Also a fountain can up the evap rate, as could a splashing waterfall etc. 3 inches in a week is possible but I have not seen that here in MI yet this year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a picture of my little pond!
Where are you located? It would help to know the temperature there. Hot and dry will cause more evaporation. Also a fountain can up the evap rate, as could a splashing waterfall etc. 3 inches in a week is possible but I have not seen that here in MI yet this year.
I am in the UK. Weather has been dry around 70 degrees F most of the week. Not excessively hot mind. Could I have a leak?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 376

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Does any of this go outside of the pond, or is it all inside?

Is the current level above or below your usual level?

Is the level still dropping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does any of this go outside of the pond, or is it all inside?

Is the current level above or below your usual level?

Is the level still dropping?
All stays within the pond. Current level is below normal level. Level is still dropping. You can see from the damp on the liner how much it has dropped.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond can easily lose an inch a day when it is hot, the bog plants inhale the water.

Look around for damp earth, check all your connections. Fountains, waterfalls are quite often the source of the leak.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond can easily lose an inch a day when it is hot, the bog plants inhale the water.

Look around for damp earth, check all your connections. Fountains, waterfalls are quite often the source of the leak.
Thanks. It is starting to sound like it is a combination of fountain evaporation and the plants! Will carry out those checks though. Thanks for the advice.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Take a bucket of water and measure out a know measurement in the bucket. Track how much you lose from the bucket and how much you lose from the pond. they should be close if it's evaporation, If it's a leak you'll lose more in the pond side, if it's evaporation you'll lose more in the bucket. In most cases.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Most "leaks" aren't leaks at all - more likely a low spot that's allowing water to go where it shouldn't go... namely anywhere other than in the pond! Check all your edges carefully for where the liner may have dropped or settled. Streams and falls are notorious for settling edges. Also look for spots where plants may be causing water to flow where it shouldn't. Even algae in a stream or waterfall can divert the water where you don't want it to go. You'll get to know your pond and it's trouble spots - I think every pond has a few!

You'll also get to know how much evaporation is normal for your pond. Waterfalls and fountains increase evaporation. Dry weather - hot or cold - increases evaporation. And plants do put off water - so the more plants you have the greater your water loss will be.

Then again - you might have a leak! ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We are hot and dry here and like Addy I can loose a 1" a day due to evaporation in the heat of the summer. The more the plants grow the worse it is, as she said the plants suck up the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Kevin, Really pretty pond. 3" is a lot to lose in a week for an average pond. I have a 9 ft diameter pond and maybe lose about an inch a week in the midwest. So I was thinking leak,but I have a question. At night do you see steam coming from your pond? If the air by you is colder at night than the water temp then it could be evaporation. If this is happening you can try either shading it during the day or adding floating plants to try to lower your water temp.

Ask a Question