Ever been on a Pond Tour?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This weekend I'm going to my very first "Pond Tour"!
smyes.gif

I have no idea what to expect since I've never been to one, I think we are given a list of locations to visit, and a bracelet to identify us as tour members, it'll feel very weird walking up to strangers houses and enter their backyard....I hope they don't have loose dogs!
Any of you ever been to a tour?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
colleen is but here in my rural area the pond tour does not come out this far

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Would you go to one if it was in your area @sissy ?
I've known about tours for years but never thought it was for me, not sure what changed, but I really want to go!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did go to the one in Danville as some of my pond friends were on the tour .It was fun and take your camera that way if you see good ideas you can snap a pic .But ask first because ours was no pics allowed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We go on garden tours every month. Ponds aren't very common around here.
It's a great way to see different parts of the city.
There has been between zero and 50 people at any one place, depends on the weather and quality of the garden.
Owners are always happy to answer questions and we rarely see their dogs, maybe the occasional cat.
Never had a problem taking tons of pictures.
Hopefully you have nice weather.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We go on garden tours every month. Ponds aren't very common around here.
It's a great way to see different parts of the city.
There has been between zero and 50 people at any one place, depends on the weather and quality of the garden.
Owners are always happy to answer questions and we rarely see their dogs, maybe the occasional cat.
Never had a problem taking tons of pictures.
Hopefully you have nice weather.
Thanks @MitchM , I hopes so too cause I'm not going if temps are in the 90s!
A garden tour would be so nice too! I would even enter mine some day, when I'm retired and able to keep up with weeds and all.
Hopefully people that go on tour are respectful and don't show up with destructive, loud and unsupervised children

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Our club has one every year in Charlotte. The best one in the area is Charleston SC. Dr grant patton’s Home and pond are amazing. He is a show judge and one of the first koi hobbyists in the states. Don’t worry about walking up to a strangers house. They are ready for you and will route you properly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yes went on many when we were thinking about building a pond.......the next year when we were getting serious about building a pond.....we went on multiple trips to different cities..... And that year I was more interested in how their pond worked, I wanted to see the filtration.....aeration.....how they did their plumbing.....as a whole most people loved to show us their setup and would let me take pictures and ask way to many questions.....but then we had a couple that was pretty much offend by my curiosity of how it works, but wanted us to brag on the beauty of the pond.....but I have to say of all the tours we went on never saw a bad looking pond, but of course you wouldn't, they were on the pond tour.....lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes went on many when we were thinking about building a pond.......the next year when we were getting serious about building a pond.....we went on multiple trips to different cities..... And that year I was more interested in how their pond worked, I wanted to see the filtration.....aeration.....how they did their plumbing.....as a whole most people loved to show us their setup and would let me take pictures and ask way to many questions.....but then we had a couple that was pretty much offend by my curiosity of how it works, but wanted us to brag on the beauty of the pond.....but I have to say of all the tours we went on never saw a bad looking pond, but of course you wouldn't, they were on the pond tour.....lol
I don't get how that person wanted to show off their pond, and then got annoyed cause you showed too much interest. Some people are really hard to please!
smdunno.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We went on one a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves ....only problem was...pond envy :)
You my lady need to do something about that envy! I help you dig, I'm not that far from you!:D

Have fun and take lots of pictures
Thank you for the positive wish!...I'll see what I can do about the pics, but don't expect high quality like yours!
smlaughing4.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've gone on lots and lots and LOTS of pond tours - they are TONS of fun. We find there are two kinds of owners - those who love meeting and greeting and talking about their pond, and those who make themselves scarce and just allow the company running the pond tour to do all the public contact. I'll admit the very first tour we went on, the first house we walked up to was very intimidating - I felt very weird just walking around someone's backyard. In that case there was no one home, but we soon got over that feeling and realized they put their pond on the tour, so obviously they didn't mind that we were there!

All the pond owners we have met have been wonderful people - very much willing to answer just about any question you want to ask. We take lots of photos and if there are pets around, they are always friendly. We have seen so many beautiful ponds and fish and plants and yards. You will have a blast!

For those in the Chicago area, Aquascape has their July tour on Saturday. We have to miss this one, but it looks to be a beautiful day for it! Their tours are completely free and self guided. You can visit all of the homes or just the ones that look interesting. On every tour they have one home that is designated as "pond central" where they serve hot dogs and cold drinks. These are great fun!

https://www.aquascapeconstruction.com/aquascape-events/water-garden-showcase

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
After reading all your reply I'm even more anxious!
I'm trying to convince my Teens to come along, but I'm not sure they will have a good time, they're not that into our own pond, why would they care about someone else's.

This is the MI annual State tour, I believe it will be self guided (which I prefer) anyone else on here, going?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We started taking our son when he was a teenager - that's how my pondless and my pond got built! He got bit by the pond bug early! And it's not just ponds - we've seen gorgeous landscaping, hardscaping, houses... so many ideas and creative ways to incorporate water into the yard!

Ask a Question