Ever use an external pump with priming pot?

Reaction score
Hey all, i currently have beckett 1200 but dont feel its doing a good enough job. So i found a Sunterra's 3000 GPH Pond Pump (mfg #203000) which can also be external. If you had a priming pot. Which seems like a hell of an idea. Anyone have any experience with this setup. Kind of tired of the submersible setup to be honest.

Reaction score
how can I say this lightly..... Hmmm.....that pump is junk. Sorry!

That particular brand is very heavy in wattage. Just 3000 gph and it uses 750 watts. It might seem cheap on the front end, but boy is it going to eat you out of house and home in electricity costs! It will NOT pay for itself very, very quickly.

If you really want an external pump that is totally energy efficient and will pay for itself very quickly (and might be just a tad more on the front end), do consider a standard external pump. Do me a favor and send a PM to DoDad and let him hook you up with a decent pump at a reasonable price that will be super energy efficient and not cost you an armload to run each month.

What size pond do you have?

Reaction score
I didnt see the wattage until a couple of hrs ago!!! thats tooooo much. Im a noob here so for some reason i cant see where to PM.

It would be from in the pond, no skimmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You need the water to go from the pond to a flapper check valve to the primer pot that's attached to the pump.

Reaction score
correct, which pump would you recommend? as the one i posted is a bit crappy. i have a 900 gal pond. Which ever you recommend may or maynot need a primer pot, i dont mind... which ever is better

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sequence 750 3600SEQ12 would do you well and a priming pot will fit it.
The priming pot will not fit the Sunterra.

Reaction score
Now PM DoDad, because the the price he can quote you privately and what you will see advertised online will different. Sequence are great pumps, and take a look at the wattage comparison on the 3600--a mere 135 watts!

Even if the pump is a bit more upfront, you will quickly recoup the difference in electricity costs within a few months. Whereas that silly Sunterra will keep piling on the bills and cost you way more in the long run. AND will not be as good as the Sequence pump by miles.

Reaction score
I definitely understand about the submersible pump thing getting tiresome soooo....
Hubby is out of town and here is my plan! I'm cutting down the willow trees that I talked about in my firt post. I have purchased a large Lomart Skimmer to put in the pond. I Bought a new external pump (1HP, 4000GPH) that will be connected to a Tagelus (60D) Sand filter. I am filling it with 150 lbs of Zeobrite filter media. I am also building a retaining wall on the opposite end of the waterfall for all of this to hide behind. Only a few days till he gets home so lots of work to be done. Pray that my water is clear when he gets back or I may be in a lot of trouble! I will post pics later today!

Reaction score
Daytongirl said:
I definitely understand about the submersible pump thing getting tiresome soooo....
Hubby is out of town and here is my plan! I'm cutting down the willow trees that I talked about in my firt post. I have purchased a large Lomart Skimmer to put in the pond. I Bought a new external pump (1HP, 4000GPH) that will be connected to a Tagelus (60D) Sand filter. I am filling it with 150 lbs of Zeobrite filter media. I am also building a retaining wall on the opposite end of the waterfall for all of this to hide behind. Only a few days till he gets home so lots of work to be done. Pray that my water is clear when he gets back or I may be in a lot of trouble! I will post pics later today!

good luck!!!

how noisy are these external pumps? that would probably be my last deciding factor

Reaction score
Not sure cuz it's not hooked up yet but I will be building an enclosure around it to keep it out of the weather. If it's too loud, I guess I could always insulate with styrofome or something. I will let you know when I post the pics. Pump does not arrive until tomorrow, so still lots of digging,gravel laying, and wall building to do today.

Reaction score
Nope DoDad, the pump is brand new but the sand filter was from a pool. It has been cleaned and sitting in a storage shed for a year. I don't think it will harm the fish as it has been so long without chlorine in it and washed so well? Do you think I will have a problem? Also, do you sell the Zeobrite filter media? I have read great things about it. I forgot to metion that I also have a 40 W UV light that is working off of a smaller pump.

Ask a Question