Ever wake up to...?

Reaction score
Have you ever woke up to a dead bird in your pond? It seems like we go thru phases when this happens alot. The kicker is there I'm the one that usually finds them and when my husband is at work. The last thing i want to do is fish out a dead bird. Just was wondering if this has ever happened in your ponds?

Reaction score
No - I did have a dead bat in my pool.
Birds bath in my pond everday, but I have a shallow area built just for that, so they can get in and out very easliy.

Reaction score
Did the bird drown in your pond or was it for some other reason? I'm wondering if a net over your pond when you weren't out enjoying it would help curb the dead wild life in your pond. Is there such a thing as a retractable screen for ponds that you can put over when you aren't there and can just pull back when you are around? Maybe someone should invent one...lol.

Reaction score
Yes, I found 2 dead birds in my pond... both babies. I suspect they were learning how to fly and drowned. But every day I see other birds bathing in the waterfall.

Reaction score
Yes, I have hummingbirds around my pond also. There is a red plant (fire cracker, I think) that they get necter from that is beside the pond. I have never seen them bathe tho..

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
we get a lot of hummers , going in and out under the water fall bathing. i do get out the occasional cat , its not to sad ,,,if you new my neighbor with all the cats.

Reaction score
We've had birds in our skimmer more than once as well. Some from bathing in the stream in the winter, they get pushing each other around and then caught under the ice in the main pond. Baby birds in the late spring early summer a few times as well. But I think the fledgling issue will be less this year, we lost our big Maple tree that was only 10' from the pond.

I use a medium sized fish net reserved just for this situation - bought it the second year we had our pond.

Take Care

Karla
Smile and the World Smiles Back :icon_mrgreen:
leveragetimetomakemoney.com

Reaction score
Never had dead birds show up, but the occassional rodent. Trying to swim across or falling I don't know.

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
Unfortunately my aunt found a dead CAT in her pond. Its a large pond,a nd they dont know if it was sick and stumbled, or it fell in looking at fish and couldn't climb out. Very sad

Ask a Question