Everything Comes To An End...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
javascript:poiZoom(.26333,51.13245,map,11);
Just like to say a Big Hello to everyone who reads this post, as this is my very first Post.

I am Lucky enough to have Grass Snakes visit my Pond every year, but this year they have failed to turn up. The Pond seems healthy enough, had over 25 Damselfly's emerge and still Counting, there's 6 Frogs and a Pair of Newts, so that in itself tells me the Pond is Healthy.

Every morning I creep out into the garden with my slippers on ( you need quiet footwear ) and I scout around all the usual spots, hoping for that first glimpse of the Snake, maybe One will turn up tomorrow.

From a very Sad Tiny Termite

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry hate to say I am just not a snake lover and guessing i never will be :cheerful: To many bad snakes around here .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We usually have a lot of grass snakes here but haven't seen any this year. We did have a large black snake and a copperhead get caught in the pond netting this week.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bet they will show up, I have not seen any snakes recently. Large black snakes last year.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had two garden snakes early spring on both sides of the yard
I havent seen them in a while. I'm ok with that

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Noticed how quiet it is around here lately. Only saw 3 frogs yesterday so I guess I know why the snakes looked so well fed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I was very lucky enough to Capture a Grass Snake eating a Frog a couple of years ago, I think many people underestimate the Grass Snake and it's eating habits, I certainly did, before seeing it in front of my very eyes.

It's not easy you know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Just a Quick update.

Looks like a Snake has turned up, but not yet seen. The Pond weed has been disturbed and the 3 Frogs have now become 2.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Good New's, the Snake turned up today, It took a Frog for Dinner and then left the Pond.

I'm Well Excited.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
See all good things come to those who wait except perhaps for the frog :)
We need our snakes, we only have the Grass snake and the Adder here in the UK , you dont get to see then that often nowadays but they can be seen sunning themselves on he rocks of Dartmoor.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I found a rather large Toad in my Pond yesterday, just after the Snake made a dash with the Frog, never seen a Toad in my Pond before, found a Disabled Toad many years ago under a bag of Peat, it had one of it's back leg's missing. I have since learnt, the Dragonfly Larvae bite off their little limbs while they are still little Tadpoles, it's amazing they survive.

Grass Snakes favourite and easy Prey has to be the Frog, the Fish are too quick, the Frogs just hang around all day laying on top of the Pond Weed waiting to be Gobbled up. It's not a quick Take-away meal you know, it can take 20 minutes to eat a Frog. It all depends on how they catch their Prey, head first is preferred, but is not always the Case.

Good Things Do Come To Those That Wait Dave54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I was always led to believe that frogs toadsnewts and salmanders all have the power to re-grow missing limbs.
It's a secret that only the amphibians know how to do , however imagine if we could do this ourselves eh. ?

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question