everything worked fine last year

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dug 2 ponds and stream myself. (I have no experience what-so-ever) I got lucky and the water levels remained constant and everything worked great for 4 yrs. I'm opening it for Spring and now the bottom pond water level keeps falling below the pump within an hour of turning it on. There are no leaks. Water flows from an approx 1 1/4 in hose to the barrel at the top. I've tried changing the top waterfall...taking out steps in the fall, redirecting the barrel so the water comes out quicker. Any help would be appreciated. The dims and pump specs are on the photos. Any ideas?

Attachments

• stream and bottom pond dims.jpg
    stream and bottom pond dims.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 267
  • Top Pond and Bucket Waterfall dims.jpg
    Top Pond and Bucket Waterfall dims.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 400

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The total volume of the transit water is larger than the capacity of the pump basin. The top pond is also larger than the lower pump basin. Pump basin should have the largest capacity. It should be able to contain the entire water column of your feature.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Does sound like a leak, likely in the stream if water levels don't change in the 2 ponds when pumps are not on... why do you think there's no leak?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
leak or water is running between a couple of rocks and also do you consider how much water goes into the barrel you have there .Has anything stepped in your stream to put a hole in the liner under the gravel .You will have a lot of testing to do to figure it all out .Also check your hoses

Reaction score
I had a leak in my bog last year, but we never saw a drop of water from it. I guess it must have just gone into the ground.

I'm going to have it rebuilt this year. (Again.) The new guy checked the seam in the bog, and it's a wonder we didn't lose more water than we did. This time, no seams. Didn't really need a seam last year, but I will get myself all worked up and furious again if I tell you more...

Ask a Question