Everything you know about tumors in fish

aceofspades

Elena Salvatore
Reaction score
Country
United States
Can someone please let me know everything you know about tumors in fish? I believe one of my guppies had a tumor and he died yesterday. Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What I know of tumors is there are two kinds: cancerous or begnine. ( didn’t spell that right apparently). Either way, they both start out the same. A cell malfunctions, and replicates too much. They why of that malfunction is the difference. Cancer spreads, attacking other cells, like an infection, growing until it kills the host or is treated. Non cancerous tumors just grow, and can be caused by other factors that influence the cells, such as infection, the bodies response to try and encapsulate a potential problem, stuff like that. Short of having a microscope to look at the tumor, and doing a vivisection of the fish, all you can do is watch your other fish for problems, ensure your water quality is good, and keep that tank and it’s occupants isolated until you are sure it’s not anything infectious. That includes not cross contaminating other tanks with nets, water siphons, your hands, or other supplies that come in contact with the water. Wash your hands well after touching anything that has been in contact with that tank. However, that does not mean all those fish will get sick and die, just that you need to keep an eye on them to watch for any other issues. Should you see others with the same symptoms, please contact a vet who does know more about fish disease and pathology.

Ask a Question