Excited for the Springtime!

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Pond Pic.JPG

This is my favorite time of year, I love Spring and Summer and when the weather is starting to warm up! Chicago has had a mild winter which is nice, some weeks we would be in the teens and get snow and by the end of the week we'd be in the 40's and all the snow would melt, 50-60 last weekend then snow Monday.

Counting down the days till I can feed the fish again, Happy Spring everyone!
Shane

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
View attachment 89530
This is my favorite time of year, I love Spring and Summer and when the weather is starting to warm up! Chicago has had a mild winter which is nice, some weeks we would be in the teens and get snow and by the end of the week we'd be in the 40's and all the snow would melt, 50-60 last weekend then snow Monday.

Counting down the days till I can feed the fish again, Happy Spring everyone!
Shane

I hear ya! Getting out there in the next few days to get the bead filter running. Savio skimmer and falls went all Winter. Water temp has been 50F for weeks. Long Island!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Spring is definitely the most exciting time of year, and the most relieving time of year after dealing with Winter. Maybe not quite yet, but once we get into April, it's always fun seeing plants growing again, getting the pond running again, seeing birds and frogs again...

Did you see next week's forecast @shanezam203? Every day is expected to be at least in the 50°s, and I saw one or two 60°s, too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've been antsy to start things running too. We had 40's for a couple-three days last week so I jumped the gun and ran the aerator during the warmest part of the days. Ran some water through the bog for a couple of days too and managed to raise the pond temp a couple of degrees. I know that doesn't sound like much, but the fish discovered the bog return right away, and we got rid of all the ice......for a day. Tonight we're supposed to be in the single numbers with twenties for highs tomorrow. Same thing for Friday, then potentially a snow storm into Saturday. March is a cruel month around here. We really can't complain though because this winter as a whole hasn't been too bad. Individual days were pretty brutal, but over all not too bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I spotted tulips and crocuses starting to push through in the garden this morning. On March 6th?! I couldn't believe it...but they're there. The crocuses look like little wisps of grass so far, and I think the tips got freeze-burned last week when we had temperatures in the teens (cold enough for the pond to ice over), but they're there. Can't wait for everything else to start greening up. Temperatures are supposed to peak in the mid 60s this week, so the plants are definitely going to start waking up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our crocus are bloomed and almost done. A few more are blooming now. The daffodils are getting ready to go crazy. Buds nice and swollen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Our crocus are bloomed and almost done. A few more are blooming now. The daffodils are getting ready to go crazy. Buds nice and swollen.
Again, you are ahead of me! I don't know whether it is you or me that is in a weird place though. lol Our crocus have just started blooming and our daffodils are only a max of 5" high with buds just completely outta the ground. And on Feb 28th you gave away 4in tall iris, were they somehow that tall from last season or did they grow that much this year before the end of February?

My marsh marigold is pushing up some new leaves though, yay! Love this time of year and it's much warmer then usual too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And on Feb 28th you gave away 4in tall iris, were they somehow that tall from last season or did they grow that much this year before the end of February?
They grew that much, I saw some under the ice, green tips, the ice melted, I yanked all the dead stuff off and they exploded in size. They are around 8 inches tall now if not taller. Water forgetmenot growing, Lizard tails, iris, parrots feather basically all pond and bog plants growing. Even the lilies are sending up leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
They grew that much, I saw some under the ice, green tips, the ice melted, I yanked all the dead stuff off and they exploded in size. They are around 8 inches tall now if not taller. Water forgetmenot growing, Lizard tails, iris, parrots feather basically all pond and bog plants growing. Even the lilies are sending up leaves.
Amazing!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The only sign we have of an impending spring is daylight saving time starts this coming week end. I'm being too harsh, the ice is gone from the pond, (for now,) and the bog is coming back to life. I'm going to have to take the cover off soon because a couple of iris have almost reached the top.
Being an RC enthusiast I couldn't resist playing around with one of the boat/barge units this afternoon. This is the first time since last year. The boat was re-powered over the winter, and the barge isn't finished but was started in January.
Not exactly flowers and new growth, but it is a sign of spring in some circles!(y):)
DSC02123.JPG DSC02129.JPG

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
The fish are starting to come UP and are so active, the water temp is 50 and the weather is consistently climbing UP. Can I start feeding them a little if the water temp is above 50 and the fish are coming to the top?
2016-03-11 10.36.10.jpg
2016-03-11 10.36.15.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-03-11 10.36.10.jpg
    2016-03-11 10.36.10.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 198
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The only sign we have of an impending spring is daylight saving time starts this coming week end. I'm being too harsh, the ice is gone from the pond, (for now,) and the bog is coming back to life. I'm going to have to take the cover off soon because a couple of iris have almost reached the top.
Being an RC enthusiast I couldn't resist playing around with one of the boat/barge units this afternoon. This is the first time since last year. The boat was re-powered over the winter, and the barge isn't finished but was started in January.
Not exactly flowers and new growth, but it is a sign of spring in some circles!(y):)
View attachment 89633 View attachment 89634

Nice Timothy!
Did you build that yourself?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nice Timothy!
Did you build that yourself?

Thank you!
Being the age I am I can enter a second childhood which also allows me to live vicariously in a fantasy world and nobody pays much attention. Within the confines of my converted swimming pool, I have created the "River Supply Company" a small nondescript outfit that works on the southern rivers. They have a small shop, a gas pump, local denizens that just hang out, bait, beer, and gossip. (Think "Bubba" with a meaningful job!:)) The towboat "Nonesuch" was scratch built without plans, as was the dock and barge, just an idea of what I wanted to do and just kept adding to it. This type of outfit would service the "Line Boats" with fuel, grocery's, crew changes, and supplies as the line boat went through their area. (Think of a pickup servicing an eighteen-wheeler on the run so the big truck never had to stop.)
The outfit would also pull snags from the river, work on riverside structures, and move farmer's livestock to another grazing area across the river far cheaper than a truck could.
Now that I've told you far more than you wanted to know, We'll pretend these are spring photo's of the RSC docks. :LOL:
DSC01876.JPG DSC01900.JPG DSC01669.JPG DSC01582.JPG DSC01594.JPG DSC02024.JPG DSC02101.JPG DSC02101.JPG DSC01915.JPG

Ask a Question