Existing Koi Pond at House I Bought.....

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I'm looking forward to becong a part of the pond community here.

I live in Richmond, VA, and bought my home this time last year. The home had a pre-existing koi pond in the back yard. At first, I was skeptical about the maintenance and having that much of my yard consumed by the pond, but after a year, I LOVE IT.

I would like to draw upon the gracious experrtise of this community to make sure I'm all squared away.

The pond was put in around 2003 (based on date code on pump.). It is oval shaped, 14' x 8' and 20" deep for the most part. There are currently 8 koi on the pond, 4 larger ones and 4 smaller ones (were 14....darn heron...have net now). I have four large frogs that also call the pond home (boy are they loud right now!). There are two pots of water lillies and an empty terracotta pot for the fish to hide in. I also propped up a large flagstone on two bricks for the fish to hide under.

I test the water weekly (less in Winter). Ammoinia and Nitrates have always been zero. A few times after heavy rains, the pH gets crazy, easily fixed with pH-Up or pH-Down chemicals. I've never gotten the phosphates down where they should be. Occasionally, a little salt is called for.

What I'd most like to understand is how the properly care for the filtration system. The pond has a 2400 gph submersed magnetic-drive pump. The water is pumped around the side of the pond and up to a small square (3' x 3') secondary pond about 2' above the main pond. The water goes to the bottom of this upper pond in a set of U-shaped PVC pipes that are capped off at one end. The water is then forced out of the PVC through small holes that have been drilled in the top of the pipe and the water goes up through some media that looks like a dense air conditioning filter. After that, the water makes its way up through almost 2 feet of small pea gravel before emerging and then flowing out over the waterfall and back into the pond.

It's Spring cleaning time and I want to make sure I do everything correctly. I plan on removing all of the pea gravel and replacing the filter media and making sure that the holes in the PVC pipe are not clogged by lodged gravel. Should I wash the gravel off before replacing it? All the way down, it's covered in slimy green stuff. Wifey wants it cleam, but I think the green slime is what keeps the water crystal clear; and it's always been perfectly clear.

I bought some beneficial bacteria from the PondDiggers.com, but haven't added any yet.

Anyway - thanks for reading about my pond. I would love any advice that I can get from you experienced ponders regarding the maintenance of the filter bed, lowering phosphates, eliminating the string algae that grows on the rocks behind the waterfall and general tips and traps for this style of pond.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Reaction score
Hello fellow Virginian! I wrote in Richmond as my city but I actually live in Chesterfield; hope to put in a pond this summer. I'm sure that some of the nice experienced folk on this forum will be able to help you out they've been wonderful in answering my queries. Speaking of which, got a question for you: where you get your pond supplies locally?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, Don't do anything just yet. Get some advice from other members before doing this. Your pond seems to be running fine right now.
If you can post pics it will help us to see more and help more specifically to your situation. Getting late tonight but I will see if we can give you some tips on this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi RhKoi, It sounds like the upper waterfall might be a bog filter without plants in it. I agree with fishin if it is running well don't be in a hurry to change anything. If you do clean any of it be sure to use declorinated water so you don't kill any beneficial bacteria that exists in the pond and definitely don't scrub the liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!
WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

I agree with above sounds like a bog, add some plants and it will do even better. The plants will suck the nutrients that the algae needs to live.

For the rain ph swings I had the same issue, added some crushed oyster shells where the water is constantly moving, near my bog waterfall, and my ph has been stable ever since.

Be careful about washing, you could end up with a non clear pond, agree with the above comments.

Reaction score
krazyrabbit said:
Hello fellow Virginian! I wrote in Richmond as my city but I actually live in Chesterfield; hope to put in a pond this summer. I'm sure that some of the nice experienced folk on this forum will be able to help you out they've been wonderful in answering my queries. Speaking of which, got a question for you: where you get your pond supplies locally?

Krazyrabbit - Thanks for the reply. I have been getting supplies from Fin & Feather at

Fin & Feather Pet Center Inc.
5208 Lakeside Avenue
Richmond, VA 23228
(804)-262-6681

The store at the above address also has pond plants. Not the least expensive place....

Also, big pond place at Ashland Berry Farm, 12607 Old Ridge Road, Beaverdam, VA 23015, but that is quite a drive from Chesterfield. I got my filter media from these guys. They also have lots of fish for sale.

Regards,
Dan

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Welcome!
WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

I agree with above sounds like a bog, add some plants and it will do even better. The plants will suck the nutrients that the algae needs to live.

For the rain ph swings I had the same issue, added some crushed oyster shells where the water is constantly moving, near my bog waterfall, and my ph has been stable ever since.

Be careful about washing, you could end up with a non clear pond, agree with the above comments.

Addy1,

Thanks for the great tips. As soon as I get my filter media cleaned out and the gravel bed back, I will take your advice and get some plants going in the upper bed. Great idea!

After rinsing the filter pad media, all of the gravel will go back slimy and green - thanks.

As to the oyster shells, did you make up that sack of shells yourself, or can a lazy guy like me buy those? Buffering the pH would be great.

Regards,
Dan

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can get oyster shells at tractor supply or any feed supply oyster shells are used for chickens to help make there eggshells stronger .The brand I buy at tractor supply manna pro 50lb bags is 7 dollars and is a combo of oyster a coral ground up .I get fine mesh bags to hold it at a local dollar store here 4 bags in a plastic snap pouch says laundry essentials on pouch they are 18x14 with a drawstring and are green ,4pk utility bags it says also .baking soda works too

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh sorry rhkoi I forgot to say welcome WELCOME .to the pond forum

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
RHKoi said:
Addy1,

Thanks for the great tips. As soon as I get my filter media cleaned out and the gravel bed back, I will take your advice and get some plants going in the upper bed. Great idea!

After rinsing the filter pad media, all of the gravel will go back slimy and green - thanks.

As to the oyster shells, did you make up that sack of shells yourself, or can a lazy guy like me buy those? Buffering the pH would be great.

Regards,
Dan
Left over onion bags, bulb bags, filled and stuck in the pond. Tractor supply 9.99 for 50 lbs

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh they charge a lot more there for the manna pro than here .Like the tank adapters at tractor supply it was only 8 dollars here and 12 dollars online

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oops 6.59 at tractor supply was 8.59 originally it was on sale when I bought it looked at my receipt because I bought tank adapter then too .I bought plumbing supplies too there and have to take a few back and get another tank adapter also

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
baking soda will raise ph..but it wont lock it in. thats where the crushed oyster shell comes in. i use an old nylon stocking. place it where heres a decent steady calm flow of water. the nylon will help reduce "milking" from the shells.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
glad it's not wifes new ones or are you tellng her its old ones . lol Support stockings good too at dollar stores .Don't tell or we may bribe you to be quite .:):lol:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I made this 5 minute video this morning to try and show a quick back flushing of my filter. If you do something similar with the valve and periodically back flush your pea gravel you should really not need to break down the filter for long preriods of time. On suggestion I would make in your situation is. Since you are using pea gravel for your filter, simple run a dowel rod, piece of PVC or similar dowin in to the gravel bed carefully to help loosen the gravel that may have packed over the last year. No need to stir just run the pipe or dowel in and out in several spots before or while back flushing. this helps regain flow rates, loosens pockets of trapped dtrius/trash, and allows for new bacteria to form. I hope the video helps in some explaining. Please excuse my inexperience in videoing. that was my first attempt at a How to video, and only my third video to ever post in public.
[ame]

Ask a Question