Existing pond in backyard needs work

Reaction score
We just moved into my stepdad's place and there's a pond in the backyard that looks like it hasn't been taken care of in years. It's approximately 1200 gallons. There are no filters, pumps or anything of the sort being used with it at the moment. There are pipes in the pond so I'm assuming the pond was cared for at some point in the past. See picture DSC03994 (the last picture); I couldn't get the camera to focus on the pipe too well, but it's there. I have no idea where it runs to though.

There are two turtles, one koi and a lot of another kind of fish that I can't identify. All I can say is that they're small and black; I can't get a good picture of them because they all swim away under where the plants are when I get close to the pond.

I'd like to clean this pond up. :razz:

- There's a layer of muck at the bottom. I tried scooping it out with a net but there's just too much. I think I'll need a vacuum to get it all out. Suggestions?
- There's also a lot of debris in there (rocks, random bricks, branches)
- What kind of filter, pump, etc. should I get? What else will I need?

I'm completely new to caring for a pond. I searched on Google for a few articles, but there's quite a lot of information out there so I decided it'd be better to ask some real people instead. I'm open to all suggestions and ideas.

Attachments

• DSC03991.JPG
    DSC03991.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC03996.JPG
    DSC03996.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC03992.JPG
    DSC03992.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC03993.JPG
    DSC03993.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC03994.JPG
    DSC03994.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 385

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!
First of all remove all rocks, then use a shop vacuum and start the process of sucking the stuff off the bottom. It works best with 2 people, one on the hose one on the switch and to help dump the bad water and debries. Get some dechlor since you are going to have to top it off afterward. Harbor Freight has cheap submersible pumps and there are instructions here on how to make a bio filter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yep get the rocks out, even a flat shovel will help on getting the muck out, if a metal shovel be real careful with the liner. I doubt they have plastic snow shovels in calif.

or vacuum with a shop vac.

check the diy section for some easy to build filters, get a pump that will push at least 1200 gph if not more.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomefrogs87-1.gif
STN0091
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. I think you need to get into the pond and take all the large stuff out first and like they said above be careful of the fish. If you have a big tub you could use the net somewhat still and put some water in the tub and dump the gunk into the tub in case you accidentally scoop some fish.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I've been reading up on biofilters in the DIY section about Skippy's and Doc's biofilter.

Regarding the biofilter, the filter media itself should never be cleaned, but the muck at the bottom of the container still needs to be cleaned out regularly, correct?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I've been reading up on biofilters in the DIY section about Skippy's and Doc's biofilter.

Regarding the biofilter, the filter media itself should never be cleaned, but the muck at the bottom of the container still needs to be cleaned out regularly, correct?

Yes, the 2" dump valve allows a flush that cleans out the bottom while leaving the bacteria colony intact on the media.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And don't rinse the filter with chlorinated city water. If you want to rinse it use pond water.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
some do rinse just want to give them a heads up about chlorinated water and filters

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and is that pond concrete or does it have a liner .I can't tell ,top looks concrete that goes down into the water .But no matter what you have a lot of cleaning to do

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It will be nice when cleaned up some! and a lot of work ahead

Reaction score
We finally cleaned up the pond. It took a friend and I ten hours over two days to remove all the muck at the bottom. We got all the fish out of there, drained the pond and removed all the large debris the first day; the second day was spent vacuuming out the stuff at the bottom. That large stone in the middle isn't going anywhere. The best we could do is tip it over, but there's no way we can lift it out.

I still don't have a biofilter set up, but I will get to work on that. I also plan on trimming the plants and tree branches hanging over the pond so leaves don't fall in as much. There was already quite a few leaves in there after we finished cleaning up.

Attachments

• DSC04085.jpg
    DSC04085.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC04086.jpg
    DSC04086.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC04087.jpg
    DSC04087.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC04090.jpg
    DSC04090.jpg