Existing pond remodel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and neeed help! I have a 10’x20’ existing concrete pond w/waterfall. I had Koi years ago but live in Las Vegas and never could keep it clean (it was 4’ deep) I’ve filled with dirt. Then added a thick layer of play sand as underpayment to my EPDM liner.
I don’t want a full pond....just a pool of water w/ waterfall running and will fill in edges with rocks.
My question is: how do I successfully attach the liner to the concrete at the waterfall section? (See photo w/ red line) or do I need to add or build “out” to create a ledge and tuck liner behind? Seems impossible to ensure a solid adhesion of liner to concrete , because water will be flowing over that 24/7.
Any help is appreciated!
PS not for fish and ignore tarp on ground, that so dog won’t dig up my sand!

Attachments

• 6088A7B5-92FD-449E-A46F-17E28FC960F5.jpeg
    6088A7B5-92FD-449E-A46F-17E28FC960F5.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 42A7569A-7B2A-4C3F-B376-E1B0C35D236E.jpeg
    42A7569A-7B2A-4C3F-B376-E1B0C35D236E.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 151
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I am having difficulty understanding. I can't see your EDPM. Is it covered with rocks? The waterfall looks like it has a gap just above the red line. Are you asking how to seal that gap? Is that small white tube (bottom of image) the uptake for the waterfall? Could you please make an image showing the entire pond area?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Pond-girl !

@Stephen Noble - The red line is where she imagines attaching the EPDM. She doesn't currently have liner in the pond but is adding it over an existing cement pond.

@Pond-girl I think it's going to be next to impossible - as you suspected- to attach liner to concrete. If you can find a way to add a ledge, that might work. But could you possibly reconstruct the waterfall completely? You really need that liner all the way up to where the water starts to flow. Starting the liner partway down the waterfall is a recipe for disaster - if that water starts to seep behind your liner, you'll have a floating liner in a matter of hours. And seep it will! If you could add a biofalls or even a spillway, it would make for a better outcome.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @Pond-girl !

@Stephen Noble - The red line is where she imagines attaching the EPDM. She doesn't currently have liner in the pond but is adding it over an existing cement pond.

@Pond-girl I think it's going to be next to impossible - as you suspected- to attach liner to concrete. If you can find a way to add a ledge, that might work. But could you possibly reconstruct the waterfall completely? You really need that liner all the way up to where the water starts to flow. Starting the liner partway down the waterfall is a recipe for disaster - if that water starts to seep behind your liner, you'll have a floating liner in a matter of hours. And seep it will! If you could add a biofalls or even a spillway, it would make for a better outcome.
Yep that is pretty much what I saw happening . Or like u said run liner to “top side “ of waterfall but prolly would end up looking like a shiny turd when all done. I was hoping to find an adhesive for the ‘liner to cement’ side and then another product that I could layer overtop the newly adhered liner and concrete...if that makes any sense. OR Plan F....Ditch using waterfall and just install a recirc type pump so water isn’t stagnant? If so, any suggestion on what to search for or name for this function/etc?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
This might sound nuts but what if one were to lay the liner up to base of waterfall and some creative concrete mason work right over the top of it with enough mass to pin the liner down?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sparky! This pond remodel or salvage requires some nuts type thinking! I thought about that idea too. I figured concrete would be too pourous and unless framed from below, wouldn’t “stand up”....I did see a product called black waterfall foam. Whereby, I could adhere the liner to face of Concrete...(pray). Next step, place rocks from bottom of pond (on top of liner ) to just above the liner edge using the black waterfall foam ? Now that I think about it, ur concrete idea or my rock idea are basically doing the same thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Sparky! This pond remodel or salvage requires some nuts type thinking! I thought about that idea too.
The foam is not structural IMO. I use it but not for adherence. The concrete “cap” would need to start up a ways almost like a thick veneer and eventually to at least 3-4” thickness where it ends on top of the liner. The mix at the bottom would have to contour the bottom snugly holding the liner in place. Rocks on top to suit. This would be a quickset deal. It’s nuts..... but..... might work:unsure:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would make sure it is clean, scrub etc, wash let it dry well. Get the goop, puts lots on, push the liner into it. Once it dries some, put more goop on the edge of the liner, making sure the edge of the liner is totally covered with goop.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would make sure it is clean, scrub etc, wash let it dry well. Get the goop, puts lots on, push the liner into it. Once it dries some, put more goop on the edge of the liner, making sure the edge of the liner is totally covered with goop.
Thank u very much! I will update my post when I’m done! Appreciate ur help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Addy, the goop master! Officially now in my pond tool box.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It has been sealing my output pipes from two small ponds into the big pond for over 6 years. Survives winter summer critters me

Ask a Question