Expand my pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi . I thinking of making my pond bigger by maybe 60% . I d prefer to attach new liner to the existing liner and maybe have the extension higher than the existing pond. Is there someone who has done something like this successfully?or maybe a site I can use that has step by step instructions. My pond is roughly 7ft long by 5ft wife , I want to keep the width the same but lengthen it to about 4 ft or so , depth would be 30 inches or so.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
here is a thread about seaming. If higher than the other pond you might not need to seam, just make sure there is enough of a drop.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I have seamend liner beofre, but only on a stream, so the water was just slowing over it, I just bought seam tape, cleaned the liner with some household cleaner, and applyed it! ( then just as an extra added some gorrila tape meant to be water tight )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Great videos and good information, it certainly helps , I’m thinking my big problem is where I want to extend the liner is a semi circle not a straight line and it’s only 4ft from 1 end of the semi to the other. I need to consider maybe just adding a 2nd small pond close to my original and finding a way to link them , maybe a drainage pipe or something

Reaction score
Hi Frankie...We added on to our pond 22 years ago... We made it level with the existing pond
so that the fish would have an expanded swim area. After we dug the hole for the new pond,
we dropped the water in the existing pond about 18” this way the fish could stay in the water
while we were bonding the two liners together.
It’s hard to explain without pictures, but we attached the two lines only at a section that is
about 3 feet wide...

If you’re interested in how we did it, I’ll try and give you as much guidance as I can...
Also, think about making it level with the existing pond for extra room for the fish...

Please provide a pic of your pond, it would help in design ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Frankie...We added on to our pond 22 years ago... We made it level with the existing pond
so that the fish would have an expanded swim area. After we dug the hole for the new pond,
we dropped the water in the existing pond about 18” this way the fish could stay in the water
It’s hard to explain without pictures, but we attached the two lines only at a section that is
about 3 feet wide...

If you’re interested in how we did it, I’ll try and give you as much guidance as I can...
Also, think about making it level with the existing pond for extra room for the fish...

Hi I would really appreciate it that , I’m very new to this so if I’m not 100% confident I can do it I won’t , my existing pond is only a few months old but all is good so don’t want to ruin it. I will dig out a few photos shortly and add a few details.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
about 3 feet wide...

Attachments

• 90E0C647-7396-4209-A06D-51CC085C7EF9.jpeg
    90E0C647-7396-4209-A06D-51CC085C7EF9.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 177
  • F4EF3E3D-1CC6-4EA8-81FF-C60290452384.jpeg
    F4EF3E3D-1CC6-4EA8-81FF-C60290452384.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 04065C11-D1B6-49CA-BC78-C48A3AEE09AF.jpeg
    04065C11-D1B6-49CA-BC78-C48A3AEE09AF.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 208
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plan is to extend at the end where the pix have been taken , it’s roughly 4ft wide there, the pond is 7ft long and different depths ranging from 3ft 4” at the far end to 2ft 4” at the near end excluding shelves. I open to Any suggestions on how to extend, the plan now is to add roughly another 4ft length and 4ft width to the pond, the depth will depend on how I find it when I start digging but at least 2ft

Reaction score
Could you provide a shot of the yard in front of the pond. You could extend your
pond out more into the yard and make it a longer run...

Our Dog leg extension is about 6’ wide x 13’ long.
Also, where it is pieced together it’s only about 18” wide x 12” deep ...so in actuality
the piecing area is small...just deep enough so that the fish can swim through.

Here is a video of the dog leg.
hope the video works...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stunning , absolutely gorgeous pond , the water looks crystal clear, even Your foliage is to die for. It puts my little effort to shame. I’m away from home for a few days so unable to take anymore photos, not sure I want to show any more after looking at yours lol joking

Reaction score
You can easily make yours stunning...The front of the pond where you have the white slate
is where you can add on to your pond...you only need to pierce a width of about 10 - 12” across.

You drop down the water a bit to be able to work on the seaming...you must clean the existing
liner ‘very well’ ( I believe we used alcohol to clean it) we seamed together the two liners with the tape...
then we folded the tape underneath to make a flap...then we applied silicone between the tape
and the flap (regular silicone -we called Dow Corning to ask if we could use regular silicone)
after a couple of days- (I don’t remember the actual curing time for the silicone) we filled up
the dog leg. We also have a shelf all around our pond...the shelf is totally rocked up to
ground level ...this is why no liner is showing...
I’ll get you a diagram of this.
First you have to decide how big you want your ‘dog leg’ ...ours is 13’ long.

Stunning , absolutely gorgeous pond , the water looks crystal clear, even Your foliage is to die for. It puts my little effort to shame. I’m away from home for a few days so unable to take anymore photos, not sure I want to show any more after looking at yours lol joking

Reaction score
This is the layout...we started out with an irregular kidney shape then added the dog leg...
Also, this is what I mean about a shelf...it doesn’t look like a shelf - the rocks take care of
that. Note: Pond two - is the dog leg...
t
29CB8F0D-DDDA-4DCE-B318-3868482051D0.png
9A869E52-F9E9-4443-A70C-27CFFD9234C8.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is the layout...we started out with an irregular kidney shape then added the dog leg...
Also, this is what I mean about a shelf...it doesn’t look like a shelf - the rocks take care of
that. Note: Pond two - is the dog leg...
tView attachment 131954View attachment 131956
Here is another video...to the left of the dock is the pieced area.
You can see how narrow the passway between the two areas is.

If my yard and pond looked like yours I think I would live out there instead of inside. It is spectacular!

Ask a Question