Expanding cement pond

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
Hey wusup everyone? My pond was too small so I decided to make it bigger. I made a few posts a while ago when i was sealing the pond and all. I knocked out one of the walls and dug a huge hole at one end so it will be a deeper pond all together. I am going to leave half of it shallow and make an island in the shallow end for turtles to climb up on. So it will be a few feet of shallowness and then it will expand to the big deep end. I still am going to make the hole a little deeper and wider all around.

I have 2 dogs as you can see from the pics and they spend alot of time in the backyard. The white one is a few years old and has always gone in the pond when it gets hot out. I have started to teach her not to so it shouldn't go on too much longer. I am scared that if I put pond liner she is going to go in and rip thru it with her nails. What do you guys think? Also, how do I connect the pond liner to the concrete? Do I just run the pond liner over the existing concrete part and the new hole or is there a way to overlap the 2?

I think doing concrete instead of pond liner would be nice but I don't think it will be easy considering the size of the pond. What do you guys think? (I've never laid concrete before)

for the filter I am not sure if I should buy a UV filter off ebay or build a bio filter out of a 55 gal drum or something. I want to have a waterfall coming down the hill in the back right corner or the yard where the big pile is behind the hole.

I am new at this whole pond thing so ANY advice is appreciated... I'm going to dig a little more on my next day off and then I'm ready to do concrete or a liner.

Let me know what you guys think....im stoked for Koi and turtles :) :)

Attachments

• resz2.JPG
    resz2.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 468
  • resiz1.JPG
    resiz1.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 402

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
A liner will be far simpler to install, and that is a job you could do yourself. Concrete construction for the pond you are planning will require rebar steel and probably professional installation to ensure structural soundness. In 2008, I hired an experienced "concrete man" to build a rebar-reinforced, 30-foot decorative concrete stream. Based on that, I think you'd spend many thousands of dollars to properly construct a concrete pond.

I'll let others comment regarding your options for filtration.

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
Alright well I had a buddy come look at it and he says he can do it with concrete. I guess he is planning on bending the plywood around the walls and pouring concrete between the dirt and the plywood and then removing the plywood after it dries. I told him I have no idea how to do this but he is confident he can do it so I'm going to have him help me do this on the nxt day we both got off of work. I'll let you guys know how it goes....p.s...I made the hole bigger....I cant go any deeper I already hit water :)

Ask a Question