Expected life of an HD 4700

Imo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am rebuilding (seriously cleaning) my 2 ponds and trying to decide if I need to buy a new pump or if I can repair existing one. Bought an HD 4700 10 years ago, it gave me intermittent problems last year and then just stopped running before the winter. Just hums when I plug it in. Has it reached its expected life span or should I find someone to service it?

Thanks for any advice!

Imo

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group. I don't know that brand. Pumps have become more efficient, you might be better off buying a new one.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Imo
When mine have gone bad I take them apart. Sometimes it is the propeller and that can be replaced. I don't know the specifics of your pump tho. Mine have been all submersibles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not familiar with that particular pump either. You'll have to search the internet for information. What is the actual brand name?

But as stated, some pumps are repairable. I've had pumps in the past that had the impeller shaft break or wear down. They too would just hum. Those parts were replaceable on those pumps. Afterward, they were like new.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I know nothing about pumps - except how to plug them in! - but it seems like they are just a series of replaceable parts. Anything can be fixed. However, I agree with @addy1 that you may want to switch to a more efficient pump. The cost savings may outweigh the price.

Ask a Question