External Pump Brands

Reaction score
Planning on redoing pond and going with external pump. So many brands but not sure which is the better and which ones to stay away from. GPH aside which I have calculated at 3500gph at the pump, which are the brands that tend to be the best built and those that are not. I've seen $600 pumps and $350 pumps basically with similar specs.​

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a sequence external pump have had for 8 years and will buy one again if and when this one goes out. By the way it runs 24/7 for 9 months out of the year which is about 2,000 hours and counting!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomedude5.gif
campingcreecher

Reaction score
I asked this question years ago and the answer is the same today.
Sequence pumps are the way to go.
There are cheaper pumps out there, but generally they aren’t as efficient, meaning they use more power to pump less water. When you run a pump 24/7 it doesn’t take long for that low power consumption to pay for itself. Also those cheaper pumps tend not to last as long, so not only do you pay for extra power during the short life of those cheap pumps, then you have to buy a new one sooner.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have a sequence external pump have had for 8 years and will buy one again if and when this one goes out. By the way it runs 24/7 for 9 months out of the year which is about 2,000 hours and counting!
??? 24hours a day x 30= 728 hours per month, x 9 = 6,480 hours per year, x 8 years = 51,840 hours. Time for a new calculator!!! :cheerful:
John

Reaction score
My pond is about 13 years old and I am tired of replacing submircible pumps.

What are the pros/consider of submircible and external pumps.

Is Sequence a brand or type of external pump?
Thanks

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Never had a submerisable pump before. Knew someone who had an external sequence and after research that is what I chose.

Pros:
My pump has very little noise (some say they are loud) don't even notice and either does anyone else who comes into my yard.
Easy to remove for winter, no climbing into the pond to get it out.
My is quite energy efficient for the gph it gives me.
Going on 8 years and never had a problem.

Cons:
You will have to have an external covered or protected somehow.

Yes sequence is a brand.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a sequence, very quiet, very low electric use, external

I have never used a submersible. Right now my external is covered with a plastic tote, it does well keeping it out of the weather. (cut in some air holes)

Samuel

Sam
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat looking for a new pump to replace the one I have. I have been hearing a lot about performance pro pumps. Anyone familiar? I'm looking at sequence now. For 1500 gallons and a small three foot waterfall what's suggested? They got many pumps.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Weird somebody seems to be repeating what other people are saying for some strange reason I don't understand.

Ask a Question