External pump/pipe above water level wont fill

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Came back from a weekend vacation to find the waterfall not running. external Sequence pump. Water level seemed a little low with lots of junk in the skimmer. No big problems so far.

Cleaned the skimmer and the external pump’s priming pot basket then started to fill the line as normal. Usually only takes a Gallon or two to fill the line thanks to the check valve between the pump and the skimmer.

This time, I can’t get the line to fill. 5 minutes of sending water down the line hasn’t filled it. Priming basket is obviously still empty so the pump won’t pull.

Does this indicate the spring door on the check valve has stuck? How does one go about unsticking the door of a buried check valve? I’d estimate the valve is about 20’ down the line from the pump.
3” flex PVC lines.
Can it be unstuck with cable fishing tools? drain snake?

thanks for any tips!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, sounds like a failed check valve. Not uncommon. Could also be a piece of debris from the pond jamming it open? Maybe snake it from the pond side first if you can.

If it's failed, you'll have to cut it out and replace it. Where is the end of the line that it's on? If you can access end of the pipe, you can temporarily block it manually to get the pump running again until you have time/materials to replace the check valve.

When you replace it, suggest making it accessible, as they do tend to fail in time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What’s a boot valve? Mine is a swing/spring valve.
A foot valve? I have never seen these before but it says they are used specifically for the intake side? Interesting! I’ve never seen these referenced in pond building. Learn something new every day.

Reaction score
Sorry foot valve is what I should have said. Yes they are on the intake side they work as a check valve but are placed at the very bottom. They hold water in the line better than a check valve. I have had trouble with brand new check valves not holding water. PVC check valves are pretty much worthless IMHO

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check valves are less then reliable UNless they are set where there is some back pressure like at the bottom of a 5 foot lift or enough water to really push against the flap and seal it nicely.

I have installed a hose bib to my pvc so i can hook up the garden hose and fill the strainer basket all while it is trying to prime it works great. the only trick is you need a double female to hook up to the male end of the hose and THE MALE END TO THE HOSE BIB

Ask a Question