EXTRA POND LINER -- FOLD UNDER OR OVER?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Right now it's all folded/tucked "under." Well, except for one spot where I was working, and "over" was the only way it would go at the time.

Does it matter? I want to be sure before we do the final fill and start adding rocks......

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "over or under", but it sounds like you are at the stage now where it would be easy to hide the liner at the shoreline using the technique on the right.
Just leave your water level about 6 inches below the top level you want it to be, and make a shelf a few inches above that. Then pull the liner over that shelf and lay rocks on it just above the high water level and fold the liner back over those rocks and cover the liner with some more smaller rocks. Doing this you will have no liner expoised above the water level.
Disregard this post if you like the looks of the liner showing like the diagram on the left.
gallery_3859_189_45197.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Never cut excess liner off unless it's really a lot, even then if you can fold it under and hide with rocks thats best, and here's why.... over the years and with excess rain, your pond will shift, and you may need that excess liner to fix the edge if it starts to slip. I never cut the excess liner and you can't tell that its there after the rocks work their magic! :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Folding under is usually best in most cases. But it really doesn't matter. the only problem with folding over is sometimes in can cause water to run off back in the pond and if you use fertilers for you plants around the pond it's possible some could wash in the pond. If you take the correct precautions that problem can be eliminated and then like I said earlier it wouldn't matter at all. As Mucky waters pointed out to hide the liber the diagram on the left is the easiest choice and the liner could still be foldeed under/over and it will work fine too.

Ask a Question