Extra UV filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just a quick question. I'm looking to add another UV light to my system to give it some help with Algae control. My skimmer pump runs at 3500L/ph and I'm thinking of adding the light externally and feeding the water back into the pond.

Am I better with a light that runs at a higher throughput rate? Is it still effective if you push 3000L/ph through a 4500L/ph light?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you fighting green water or growing algae? UV does nothing for growing algae.

I have never used one, plants keep my pond clear and mostly algae free.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A uv light won't fight algae. The nutrients in the pond need to be eaten up by something else, like lots of plants. And if you have fish and are feeding them stop, or slow down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a UV light, but rarely use it anymore. I originally bought it to work on suspended algae particles, it doesn't work on string algae. Honestly lots of plants will help more. I originally couldn't have any plants, as my pond sides are a straight drop and I have koi who munch on everything ! We put it a small bog last Fall , so I'm happily planting now :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I also agree, pond plants is that better and more natural option. In my pond setup, I used to spend 10-15 mins each morning with a bamboo stick to twirl all the string algae growing. My pond is in direct sunlight so it doesn't help but each morning I'd go back and see some more growing. String algae is a very fast grower in my pond setup so decided to do 2 things.

1. Replaced my filter with a more biological and mechanical filtration compared to previous.
2. Added more pond plants, i now have about 8 lily pond plants and a few others growing away.

Since adding these two, string algae hasn't returned like it did each day and whatever string algae remains, very small and seems to be slowly dying out.

I'll confirm this when we have our sunshine back in UK and temp rises but like others have already mentioned, pond plants is the best and natural solution to add additional filtering before you go down the chemical route.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Excess algae is a sign there are too many nutrients in the water. UV light only fixes the symptom, not the problem. Depending on your situation, lower fish load (if you are over crowded), reduce or stop feeding.....and introduce more plants.

Ask a Question