Extreme weather conditons in 2013

Reaction score
Hello,

My husband and I have a garden pond which is approximately 3ft x 4ft and at places 2ft deep.

It has goldfish, some of which were quite old together with younger and fitter goldfish. We have a lilly in the pond which is really very good with a good spread of leaves which provides good cover for the fish (together with flowers), There are oxygenating plants in the pond and we have a few plants in baskets on the sides.

The pond has a two layered pond liner but we are struggling with algae (green blanket weed type)

Up until the hot weather our fish, plants and other life were in very good condition.

We have a pump, filter, small cascade and fountain all of which are regularly cleaned and maintained.

Like others our fish have been dying but despite our best efforts they are continuing to die (we have found two more so far this morning).

Can you please suggest ways that we could help matters that are not too expensive.

any help would be very much appreciated.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How hot is your water getting? You could install a shade over the pond. Have you tested the water to see if the ammonia etc are getting in the bad range? If you have tested post your results so we can try and help you.

Welcome to our group!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You need to get a thermometer any cheap one will work and shade the pond .I was with out electric the other day 90 degrees and huge storm hit and lightening hit a big transformer and the rest of the day no electric .I put up my shade sails and just hoped for the best and every thing turned out fine after 5 hours no electric .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have a large koi air pump to hand , the Kh and Ph in this weather will go down you need to add air to your pond to get more air into the pond lots of it.
Koi airpumps give you up to 12 manifolds to connect air pipes to buy lots of air line and twelve large airstones .
May I also suggest you leave this running 24/7 with one or two airstones in your filter the rest spaced around your pond at regular intervals .
Our own setup has two airtec 40e air pumps running 24/7 365 days a year twelve airstones in our filters and one airpump connected up to our spindrifter bottom drain pumping large amounts of air direct to the pond.
Please read this link into high temperatures that I did a couple of days ago , it should help you understand whats happening in your pond and is causing goldfish deaths :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/12352-high-temperatures/

It should help you no end ....

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Can you drain out some hot water and replace with cooler water? You don't want to drop the temp too fast but it will help. Or could you float frozen jugs of water? What about running a mister in the area or a fan?

Ask a Question