Extremely Bloated Pond Goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an eight year old goldfish that has extreme bloat. No pineconing of scales. Still active, eating, swimming. At first we thought she was holding eggs, but she’s just gotten bigger and bigger. I hate to lose her. I can’t find a fish vet in my area. I dint know what to do!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF - sorry that it's fish trouble that brings you here.

Can you post a photo of your fish? I'm not a fish sickness expert, but others with more experience may be able to help if they can see the situation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF - sorry that it's fish trouble that brings you here.

Can you post a photo of your fish? I'm not a fish sickness expert, but others with more experience may be able to help if they can see the situation.
65970E3F-0B64-4D46-AD98-D0F082EF016C.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh boy. That's really bad! One thing I've heard is that fish can get constipated. Cooked peas with the skins removed can help, if you can get your fish to eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

I don't know if your fish is egg bound or has a fluid filled cavity due to other reasons, but this fish doctor has very informational videos, perhaps they can be of some help.

Please keep us posted.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1563979892334.gif
@Cmcard
I have had a couple fish that looked just like that and they lived for many years. They ate, they swam around and then starting floating upside down. I never did find out why, other than it could be some kind of swim bladder problem that could be caused by a number of things..................infection, foods, gulping air,etc. I just looked this up and found this article and I see it does sound pretty much like what my fish were going through: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/extremely-bloated-pond-goldfish.25759/

Hope you can help your fish get through this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
You're right.........I had an aquaruin fish with it, and I remember it being all swollen. But his scales were sticking out.

Reaction score
I have an eight year old goldfish that has extreme bloat. No pineconing of scales. Still active, eating, swimming. At first we thought she was holding eggs, but she’s just gotten bigger and bigger. I hate to lose her. I can’t find a fish vet in my area. I dint know what to do!
I have mildly the same problem. I learned it may be due to taking in air when eating floating food. I found a nifty cool way to make floating food sink. I will embed the link.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I feed my pond goldfish every other day, and part of what they get is zucchini. I blanch zucchini, then freeze it, and thaw what I want to use with boiling water. I use metal skewers that hang on the side of the pond (mine is an above ground stock tank, six years old now).

Goldfish are omnivores, but I think giving them veggies helps to prevent bloat and swim bladder problems. They love the zucchini and a couple of them will actually jump out of the water a few inches when I reach in to remove the old skewer and put the new one on.

I've never had a problem with swim bladder or bloat in any of these fish. YMMV.

Ask a Question