F&S Firestone Liner sale- my supplies are purchased!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hope its not banned, b/c i've been searching over a year and this is the lowest price I've found --$260 for 20x25' firestone 45mil EPDM liner FREE SHIPPING!!!!!!!!! Please don't tell me if I didn't get an awesome deal, I'm proud of it;) I also bought the bog liner, stream liner, and waterfall liner- $650 for "plastic sheets" in all - yikes!

I am so excited to start my build, but I've got hip surgery and PT first before i can even boss people around to do he heavy work. Hoping to start in June...I'll start up a log of the process when i do. But for now, just wanted to let everyone know about the liner sale :)

andrea

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Andrea, can't wait to see pics of your pond build in June and sending you well wishes to heal quickly! That doesn't sound like a bad price for the liner to me. Don't know about the bog/stream/waterfall ones as I don't have a bog or stream and my waterfall just sits on the edge on top of part of my pond liner.

Reaction score
Thanks JW

What do you guys think about the necessity of a weir/ spillways for this setup.... I have a massively oversized bog filter so filtering isn't an issue. I'm thinking of doing a meandering stream -waterfall into the pond, and I'm wondering how to start it at the top. Do I need a spillway? I imagine a meandering stream with two or three 6" mini falls after mini basins (for even flow) and then the big falls into the pond which will have a mini basin before it. Can't i just pipe the water directly into first basin under stones...seems like there's no real point of the spillway since the mini pools and falls do that themselves......

thoughts?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You don't have to use a spillway. You can just start the water at the top, I don't have a spillway at the top of mine, they just start out at the top from my filter. Take a look at my signature for pics of my creeks and falls.

Reaction score
Doesn't your filter act as a spillway sort of. you still have something that's collecting water and its flowing out of it, right??.I"m talking about just using the pipe and covering it up with rocks...and using basins to create even sheets of flow. I don't see why it wouldn't work...guess i'm just wondering if it will shoot out of the pipe like 10 feet straight out!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes my filter has a weir that spreads the water out over 16" however my brother has a pond and the only thing he has it come out of is a 3" pipe and there isn't the fire hose effect where it is shooting out. His pump is somewhere around 10,000 gph. If you use a larger pipe I think this should make it possible.

Reaction score
Hmm, I definitely don't want the fire hydrant effect! My pump is 4200 gph but after height/ distance down to about 2700 gph. But my pipe i was planning on using is only 2"... I want it to look like comes out of no where....bubbling up wouldn't be bad either but i don't know how to do that. hmmm

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Some folks have also made their own weir out of PVC to create a weir. Take a 3" pipe, heat it up and flatten it out this would give you small weir, there is a thread on here somewhere. Also take a look at herz thread as his starts out in a pool at the top of his creek and bubbles out. He has the construction thread on here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My stream is 85 feet long, multiple ponds, small collection pools,
Thanks JW

What do you guys think about the necessity of a weir/ spillways for this setup.... I have a massively oversized bog filter so filtering isn't an issue. I'm thinking of doing a meandering stream -waterfall into the pond, and I'm wondering how to start it at the top. Do I need a spillway? I imagine a meandering stream with two or three 6" mini falls after mini basins (for even flow) and then the big falls into the pond which will have a mini basin before it. Can't i just pipe the water directly into first basin under stones...seems like there's no real point of the spillway since the mini pools and falls do that themselves......

thoughts?

My stream meanders down our slope, 85 feet of so, the beginning is a deck pond that waterfalls into the stream. The stream has lots of mini basins, one at the beginning of each waterfall into the next pond, 5 mini ponds in the stream (some 8x8). I also have depressions in the legs of the steams to retain water if the stream is turned off. The stream waterfalls into the large pond via a rock slope. I don't have a spillway, except off the deck pond, at that point it waterfalls into the top stream pond. That spillway is just one large flat rock.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Andrea, Good luck with your hip surgery! My hubby had a replacement just after Thanksgiving and has done just great! 100% improvement for him! PT was a challenge, but he was motivated. He just has to remember that there are some limitations on his movements. I've even gotten him to help with my pond!

Reaction score
ok next technical hurdle (decide to just pipe water into a basin at the top--no need for a weir)

Can anyone diagram a cross section (or have one;) of how I should construct the bog liner over the edge of the main pond liner? I have two separate liners because it was cheaper...sO i can't just build a rock wall inside the main pond and put gravel behind it--the gravel bog is going to be a separate entity. Just wondering how much, if any dirt i need in between the pond and bog for stability, and how i should overlap the liners to avoid losing water but also make the liners not so visible. Also a little confused on levels...if the 1' deep bog surface should be same, lower, or higher then the top of the pond water line....

Thanks!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To have it flow back into the pond, you would want the bog higher than pond. We put landscape timbers between the bog and pond. Supported with re bar etc.

Mine is one piece, but you can use two, lap them like you would a waterfall, stream etc. I just have the higher one go over the lower one. I use double side tape, single side tape and good old pl roofing goop to seal the two liners together. Never have had a problem with wicking of the water, but most of my drops are high.

To hide I put rocks over the liner between the two, and one large flat rock for the water fall between the bog and pond.

IMG_2916.jpg

DSC01745.jpg

Reaction score
I thought they could just overlap..you need to glue them too? you use both single sided, double sided tape and roofing glue? Particular brands? I assume its not regular scotch tape! ? What's the application like..I've never heard of gluing them together but makes sense...

BTW I love your bog, Its awesome! I hope mine looks like that. did it fill in fast? do you have to prune stuff all the time?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol ecogirl, it depended on how high the top liner was in comparison to the lower liner. Some of my stream legs, all I did was single side tape the two liners together, but the drop was such no water could wick back. If the liners were closer in height then I would use more to attach them. Cause water has a way of messing you up.

This is the second summer with a planted bog, yep you need to prune, not all the time, but enough to keep growth in control. Last summer I thought it was filled in, this spring it is truly taking off. All the plants were babies last year.

Ask a Question