Fabric planters?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! Here's a question...how well do fabric planters work with water lilies? I was considering starting my water lily for this year in a 1 gallon fabric planter in an aquarium, then cutting off the planter and placing the lily in a larger fabric planter when I put it in my container pond. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have only had my pond for 3 years, so I'm not an expert, but I think your lily would laugh in the face of a fabric pot! :ROFLMAO: Although - mine is in a hard plastic lily planter and it just climbed out and over the top. If the goal of your fabric planter is to keep the planting medium contained, it will work for that. But if the goal is to confine the lily itself, I don't think it will be effective. Lilies are crazy! (But so pretty!)

Oh wait! I see you said the lily is going in a container pond - so you don't have the worry of it overtaking a larger pond that would be harder to maintain. In that case - sure, I think the fabric planter is fine!

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have only had my pond for 3 years, so I'm not an expert, but I think your lily would laugh in the face of a fabric pot! :ROFLMAO: Although - mine is in a hard plastic lily planter and it just climbed out and over the top. If the goal of your fabric planter is to keep the planting medium contained, it will work for that. But if the goal is to confine the lily itself, I don't think it will be effective. Lilies are crazy! (But so pretty!)

Oh wait! I see you said the lily is going in a container pond - so you don't have the worry of it overtaking a larger pond that would be harder to maintain. In that case - sure, I think the fabric planter is fine!

Thanks! :) I was looking to see if they would allow for more oxygen to reach the roots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i made an island last year in my upper pond using aqua blocks . The roots of the papyrus filled almost the entire block there was no soil or stone the roots were suspended in the water and trust me they cranked.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
i made an island last year in my upper pond using aqua blocks . The roots of the papyrus filled almost the entire block there was no soil or stone the roots were suspended in the water and trust me they cranked.
So the papyrus grew feverishly without any kind of soil/gravel/etc?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They do work. After a couple of years, some very small roots may escape through the sides.

I've slowly been getting rid of the fabric planters. Either hard plastic for lilies or just free form for other things. Let me know if you want some used ones. :)

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They do work. After a couple of years, some very small roots may escape through the sides.

I've slowly been getting rid of the fabric planters. Either hard plastic for lilies or just free form for other things. Let me know if you want some used ones. :)
I'll just buy some new ones :) this is an above ground container pond, so the lilies have to be removed from the pond to overwinter them in the fridge anyway.

Ask a Question