Fairly new to pond life

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have inherited a pond with the purchase of our new home some six months ago. All has been great until quite recently. One of our fish had dropsy so we have removed that one but ALL the others are now very sluggish. They are not quite on the bottom of the pond but just sort of hang around pretty low down in the water. They used to get very animated when anyone stood over the pond but not anymore. Having said that they still go crackers at feed time. Any words of wisdom for u?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF! You'll find this a place with lots of friendly, helpful pond lovers. I'm sorry that it's pond trouble that's brought you here - hopefully you'll stick around when things get back on track!

More details would help here - for example, how big is the pond? How many gallons? What kind of filtration? Waterfall? Aeration? Plants - how many and what type? What kind of fish? How many and how long have they been in this pond? And pictures would be great too! The more we know, the better advice we can offer.

I will say dropsy is a tough one - hopefully it was just something with that fish and not a systemic issue.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and more info is needed how many fish what kind of fish how big is the gallons of the pond /How often you feed and what kind of filtration and aeration and do you gave a water test kit

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Give a bit more info on your pond. They might need some aeration.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Have to agree with the others — we need more information about your pond and its set up. How many gallons? How many and what kind of fish? What kind of filter? Do you test your water? Please post pictures if you have any you’d like to share. We love seeing pictures of ponds!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome. Without knowing anything about your pond I would guess they are hiding from a predator by staying at the bottom. How deep is your pond? Do you have anything to help them hide like floating plants?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-8-17_9-22-33.gif
@oo la la

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. I am with the other's, more information would really help.
By the way, you got a nice inheritance!
Stephen

Ask a Question