Fake lily pads for cover

Reaction score
Country
United States
I searched and couldn’t find the specific answer I am looking for. Has anyone used fake lily pads to give fish some cover from predators? The water is pretty clear and pond is only about 2.5 feet deep.
We have seen hawks and other large birds of prey hanging around! Of course I’ve seen fakes that say they are for ponds and pools but nothing mentions fish! Worried about introducing something that will leach chemicals into the water?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you have real plants for warm weather or are you looking for an artificial cover year round? Fine weave net set up will keep birds out of the pond. But real plants add more than just shelter, they help remove waste from the water, and provide food for things the fish will eat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can use them in your pond - but like @JamieB said, the real thing is always better! Obviously if you have a cold season, there are times when nothing is growing in the pond, so these might be a good solution. We just let the ice and snow do the job for us!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses! There are real Lilys in the summer (enough to cover about 60-70%) so thats no issue. The first winter, we left the Lilys as is and it gave the 3 lil goldies plenty of cover. This past summer, those three multiplied (yes, I was feeding them, I loved how they knew me and came begging!) Consequently, I am more concerned about water quality coming out of winter so pruned back plant matter to have less decaying material.
I just want to give them a little help in the hiding dept with some more options. The smaller guys have some strategically placed rocks at the bottom for cover, but the bigger guys need something!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can use them in your pond - but like @JamieB said, the real thing is always better! Obviously if you have a cold season, there are times when nothing is growing in the pond, so these might be a good solution. We just let the ice and snow do the job for us!
Yes! Snow and ice would help! We probably won’t see to much of either until Fed, Mar. It’s been a mild season and here in Colorado, we don’t get serious winter weather until the end, ugh! Wet snow!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use them between seasons to give the pond some color. Those made from silk are more realistic but don't last as long. I did a quick search for 'Pond artificial lilies' and there are tons of 'em. Just make sure it says they are pond safe.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have some bought them years ago at lowes at end of year for a dollar and they are big .They are almost 12 inchs big and I have had them for 7 years now
DSC00970.JPG

Attachments

• 104_0469.JPG
    104_0469.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 70
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can use terra-cotta pots, plain unglazed ones, on their side or cut lengths of large pvc pipe and sand the edges to provide hides.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for the reply’s and the suggestions! I didn’t even really think about creating more hides! I was thinking more surface so as not to disturb their lethargy. I’m going with fake lilys for now and come spring build them some more hidey holes!

Ask a Question