Fake news ....real or fake

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Honestly I didn't understand the article...
Kind of was "all over" I was reading about fake news or something, then all the sudden kim jung wanted to see POTUS Donald Trump and eat hamburgers.

Reaction score
You hear a lot about "fake news" these days, and it's true that much of the news that gets released to the public is probably slanted in some way, but probably no more than it has always been. The difference is that in the past the general public had little in the way of resources to verify the validity of what was being reported. However, we now live in the information age where anybody with a cell phone and access to the internet can instantly access or disseminate information across the planet that can be used to affirm or refute news from more traditional news sources.
Of course, it is almost impossible for any individual to have all the facts so there is always room for people to believe only what they choose to believe which is why there is still so much diversity in fields like politics and religion, and even science. So news has become like ice cream, there is a flavor for everybody, unless of course you live in a place like North Korea where they only have state approved vanilla ice cream. ;)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, only these days it's automated.
Now a person's personal data is the new oil to be harvested.

Yep, so automated that even websites are forced to use apps like 'Capcha' do determine if the site visitor is real or fake.
There have been times that I have thought that even this Forum needed to use an app like Capcha.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Captcha makes my computer crash... ! :p
I will say though and I'm not "just" saying this but I am, Saying it...
CNN news has had its HORRIBLE live aired times... If you look up CNN top fails they are... pretty bad..
Same goes for some other networks but imo they aren't as bad.

Reaction score
How do I know that this is not a 'fake' report? After all, the Washington Times is not one of the more respected news outlets.

Its not the article I was referring to I only used it as an overview. Its the book Sharyl Attkisson: “The Smear: How Shady Political Operatives and Fake News Control What You See, What You Think, and How You Vote,” from Harper Collins Publishers. For anyone that doubts that what you see in the news is not propaganda and slanted with an agenda this should open their eyes. Funny though, I offered the book to someone that watches CNN and they refused to read it. I pointed out that it was from a CNN reporter but still refused to read it. Check your local library.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Its not the article I was referring to I only used it as an overview. Its the book Sharyl Attkisson: “The Smear: How Shady Political Operatives and Fake News Control What You See, What You Think, and How You Vote,” from Harper Collins Publishers. For anyone that doubts that what you see in the news is not propaganda and slanted with an agenda this should open their eyes. Funny though, I offered the book to someone that watches CNN and they refused to read it. I pointed out that it was from a CNN reporter but still refused to read it. Check your local library.

To expand my original comment, how do we know that the book's contents are not 'Fake News" fabricated just to sell books and gain royalties?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
how do we know you're the REAL Meyer and not some fake one trying to get us all to do the right thing for our pond? heh. Trying to lead us away from the fake masses and toward a REAL mass.

Actually, I tend to follow peeps that aren't trying to sell me anything as their motivation narrows...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
so, you mean we actually have to 'test the spirit' for authenticity? Now, that's a novel idea (NOT!). We'll have to get a couple of mods to hog-tie you and turn you over, you know, to look for your bar code...:p

Ask a Question