Fake water lily pads that don’t look fake for help with predators

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Does anyone buy artificial lily pads or other materials to conceal fish from predators during the winter?
If so, where do you buy them? I know there’s lots on Amazon, but they also look as real as a $3 bill.

TY.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have, at some point, used green craft foam and cut out my own lily pads. Yeah, they looked about as fake as they sound, but it was something I just had to try. I ended up removing them — not because they looked bad, but because it occurred to me that I was actually cutting off surface area. I guess I could have poked little holes in them, but by that time, I was tired of the way they looked. But, this was in full summer, not winter. I have a lot of oxygenator plants in my pond, and when it gets cooler, the fish tend to hide away in those.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Thanks for you reply. I am in the northeast US. Water lettuce doesn’t overwinter. I wish it did! It occurred to me fake lily pads might frustrate the fish, but I am not losing more koi to that rotten raccoon or mink or whatever. The pond is totally netted and it did not look like it was disturbed when we returned to to find every single koi gone. Whatever it was could not drag out the catfish, but killed it anyway.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh my, I’m so sorry about your losses! I can see why you are looking for alternative predator deterrents. Do you or can you get an outside camera (security or trail cam)? It helps to know what your adversary is. Most animals hunt from above, but some members of the weasel family will get into the pond to “fish” under water. I’ve never run across them here, but we do occasionally have members who post looking for suggestions to combat mink, etc.

Also, do you have hiding places for the fish, things like koi caves (purchased or DIY)?

BTW, when I mentioned oxygenator plants, I was referring to things like anacharis or hornwort — submerged plants. Water lettuce doesn’t overwinter here (NWLA), either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for you reply. I am in the northeast US. Water lettuce doesn’t overwinter. I wish it did! It occurred to me fake lily pads might frustrate the fish, but I am not losing more koi to that rotten raccoon or mink or whatever. The pond is totally netted and it did not look like it was disturbed when we returned to to find every single koi gone. Whatever it was could not drag out the catfish, but killed it anyway.
if you have a mink, you have serious trouble. Gonna take an electrified fence to stop those. An otter is even worse. Fish caves, fake lilies, REAL lilies--those aren't going to stop such predators. DEFINITELY put up a trail cam so you know what you're dealing with.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Oh my, I’m so sorry about your losses! I can see why you are looking for alternative predator deterrents. Do you or can you get an outside camera (security or trail cam)? It helps to know what your adversary is. Most animals hunt from above, but some members of the weasel family will get into the pond to “fish” under water. I’ve never run across them here, but we do occasionally have members who post looking for suggestions to combat mink, etc.

Also, do you have hiding places for the fish, things like koi caves (purchased or DIY)?

BTW, when I mentioned oxygenator plants, I was referring to things like anacharis or hornwort — submerged plants. Water lettuce doesn’t overwinter here (NWLA), either.

There is one fish tunnel. I’ll just have to get a trail cam. Kinda tired of having to worry about when the next wipe out may occur, you know?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The best winter cover for fish, I found to be black trash bags opened out and submerged.
They become invisible underwater, the fish can hide within and under them out of sight...
If a predator does wade into the water, the thin black plastic tangles their legs and they are likely to stumble, fall, and drown...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The best winter cover for fish, I found to be black trash bags opened out and submerged.
They become invisible underwater, the fish can hide within and under them out of sight...
If a predator does wade into the water, the thin black plastic tangles their legs and they are likely to stumble, fall, and drown...
Interesting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
My husband ordered a trail cam. These losses of fish occur only when hubby and I take a yearly trip home to Canada. It’s the second time we’ve been cleaned out. The pond has always been netted. If we go away together again, I am going to put some kind of powder or even flour on the perimeter of the net and some other colored substance on the flour in a random pattern and take a photo of it. If it has been disturbed, I’ll have a better chance of knowing. Laugh if you want to.

It’s very far fetched to think someone stole our fish, but somebody has stolen other things while we were on that annual trip. None of it was live, tho.

If anyone has a better idea, I welcome it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My husband ordered a trail cam. These losses of fish occur only when hubby and I take a yearly trip home to Canada. It’s the second time we’ve been cleaned out. The pond has always been netted. If we go away together again, I am going to put some kind of powder or even flour on the perimeter of the net and some other colored substance on the flour in a random pattern and take a photo of it. If it has been disturbed, I’ll have a better chance of knowing. Laugh if you want to.

It’s very far fetched to think someone stole our fish, but somebody has stolen other things while we were on that annual trip. None of it was live, tho.

you do understand that the bears, minks, otters and herons are all sitting on the edge of the forest, all waiting for ' that time of year again'. True. If you get up early in the morning, you can see their eyes glowing as they watch your pond in anticipation! :p:p:p

When you check your trailcam, see if they're waving backatcha!

Reaction score
Country
United States

Whoa! That is fascinating that it only happens when you vacation. How many years has this been going on? Does someone take care of the pond in your absence? Do you keep expensive KOI? This would make a great CSI episode.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Ya’ll are funny. Someone does care for the pond, but the fish were taken by some creature in the winter, so the petsitter did not really have reason to look at the fish. She just needed to see the pumps worked and the net was on. We don’t keep expensive koi and the disappearing act has happened twice. It’s very strange. I know what happened. The pond is a tiny Bermuda Triangle not located in Bermuda. I feel better now.

Ask a Question